Recycled Detergent Cap Wind Clackers

Category Other
Most recycling facilities don't accept plastic caps. This recycled craft finds a way to reuse them by making wind clackers.

Perfect decoration for your clothes line!

1. Drill four holes around the edge of the lid of a peanut butter jar.
  2. Drill a hole in the center of four liquid laundry detergent caps.
  3. Loop two pieces of string (folded in half) through something shaped like a ring (I used a portion of a vitamin bottle cap for my hanging ring) and knot about 3 inches down.
  4. Thread each string through the peanut butter jar lid, knotting on the underside.
  5. Thread each strand through one laundry detergent cap and knot on the inside.
  6. Ad

7. I knotted the ends with a jingle bell to give my wind clacker an interesting sound.
  8. You can also drill a hole in the middle of the peanut butter jar lid like I did. Use a bead to anchor the middle string or knot it before threading it through the hole.
  9. Tie another bead or something else to the end of the middle string to give it a little weight. I tied a couple of jingle bells from the middle string also.

By Laura from Long Beach, CA

Top Comment

Have many items to make wind chimes, but never occured to me to use jar top to hang them from. Now I can get my projects done. Thanks for great tip.

By Lynda (Guest Post)
Top Comment

I might just try it. I just installed a sturdy clothes line. I'm hoping your idea will scare away the pecky bluejays and wood peckers that love my yard and apples each year.

Why couldn't we add large jingle bells to the center of each one and have a tinkle of music with the clacking? lol : )

I love that wind clacker. What a great thing to make with all the caps from the laundry detergent bottles.

By Michele (Guest Post)

What a great way to recycle! I hope you don't mind my sharing this.