Recycled Spice Shakers for Camping
Recycled spice shakers.
- spice of your choice (I used sea salt and ground black pepper)
- 2 identical snap on lids (I used Heinz 57 ketchup lids)
- a pencil
- a permanent marking pen
- X-Acto knife
- small pair of scissors
- 6 inch remnant piece of ribbon
- hot glue gun
- a very small funnel or you can make a paper one for yourself
- First find two identical lids. Open the lids, use your tweezers to gently grab the rubber stopper twisted in a circle and it will come out. Save it for later, you're going to reuse it.
- Put the bottom part of one lid onto the construction paper and trace around around the circle, cut that out.
- Use your glue gun to apply glue around the circumference of the lid. Glue your construction paper to the lid.
- Turn both lids so that the open spouts are across from each other and the hinges are together. This will make your dispenser stronger and less likely to break. Apply the glue to the other lid and glue them together. Uou now have one unit.
- Take the rubber stopper that you removed and glue it to the dimple on the inside of the lid, do this to both lids. By doing this, none of the spices will leak into the lid which would make a mess when you open it. Basically you just relocated it. This is imperative on lids that have a very large opening. The smaller the opening, the less likely of any spills. It forms a gasket against the hole.
- Now you want to check to make sure that you have a good seal so gently blow into one side of the lids that and see if any air comes out. If it does, reapply more glue to the seam. Do both sides to test.
- Now you can finish your dispenser by gluing the ribbon over the seam. This hides the seam and also reinforces the circle so there are no leaks. Label the top of your lids. Happy camping!
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.