Red Bump Over Dog's Eye

DeOhGee, who turns 6 this month and is babied probably more than my own children were when they were young, started getting black heads last month, something the vet said isn't uncommon for dogs. He said to just keep them clean. This totally flips me out, causing me to be even more aware of any kind of blemishes on his face. Today, after a long day of yard work, something he's very helpful with, he had his usual bath and that's when I discovered this red mark over his eye. Something I know wasn't there earlier.

The blackheads are on his white side of his face. He has his good days and bad, today being a bad. Sometimes there is a spot of blood when I scrub too hard. But this bump is just over his other eye, not at all like the other markings. There is no dirt, blood, or discharge of any kind. There is not one hair where it forms a perfect little circle. I put some A & D ointment on it. It doesn't seem to bother him, but I'm not going to rest easy until I know what it is and today is Friday evening, vet is closed until Monday. Can anyone give me any insight on possibilities so I don't drive myself crazy with worry all weekend. Thanks.

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

In Tahiti we use Betadine on our animal's cuts and bites. This almost sounds like he was bitten by some sort of bug in your yard.

Furthermore, it sounds like your dog has fragile skin. You might want to try watering down his dog soap. I have one dog that has bumps on her skin if I don't do this. Even though you buy dog soap for your dog, it doesn't mean that all dog's skin can handle this soap.

Use a second bottle and fill the bottle with water. I normally fill the bottle 3/4 of the way full. I then add the dog soap to the bottle. I use this mixture to bath all of my dogs.

My vet has me add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to my large dog food once a week. His skin was always red before I did this. The dog weighs 39 kilos and the vet says that 1 or 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar will help his skin. After doing this for several weeks I have noticed the dog no longer has red skin.