Remedies for Rope Burn

Category Home Remedies
A friction abrasion can be very painful, and a challenge to heal quickly. This guide is about remedies for rope burns.

My Granddaughter was playing with a rope the other day and she put it around her neck and jumped off the porch when no one was looking. She now has a rope burn on her neck. We put a cold rag on it and later that night washed it in antibiotic soap and put an anticbiotic spray on it. Looks like it is ozing clear fluids and it also looks like it's starting to scab over. Is there anything else we can do?

Pam

Answers

By darrellg (Guest Post)
Best Answer

she needs to be seen by a doctor & have her neck x-rayed,she may have injuries to her neck inside that you can't see. I did something similar when I was about 6 years old & for 44 years have had bad headaches. I have also been told that I have a hairline fracture in one of the vertabraes in my neck that has been there a long time that didn't heal properly. Now I have arthiritis in my neck because of it. If my parents would of had mine x-rayed they might have been able to correct the damage.

By Becky (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I agree with the other poster that she may need to see a doctor and about teaching her to NEVER put anything like a rope around her neck again. My husband uses vitamin E oil to prevent scarring. You might try that, so she won't have any scars around her neck

The other day I was at a circus and I was on the trapeze. I slipped and I got a really bad rope burn on my upper thigh. It hurts when I stretch my skin, when water touches it, and when I touch it trying to put cream on it.

I'm not sure how to get it to heal, but it's just getting worse and I need it better so I can continue training. Please help me.

Answers

Best Answer

You need to put an antibiotic cream on it and cover it with gauze. You can take ibuprofen to minimize the pain. If it is getting worse, it may be infected, and you will need to see a doctor.

Best Answer

It sounds like you have a serious rope burn that will require medical attention. If the redness is spreading that means it is infected and you will probably need to see a doctor as soon as possible.

The suggestions already given really work but most of these are for a minor rope burn and it sounds like yours may be more complicated that that.

It is also in a difficult area to treat and for sure - you should not let anything touch this whole area that is not absolutely sterile.

Please do not wait too long to seek medical help - at the very least - pay a visit to your local drug store and ask a pharmacist for his opinion.

How do I repair my finger? I have taken many layers of skin off due to having a rope burn? My burn is all wrapped up.

Answers

Best Answer

Clean the area, apply antibiotic cream to it, then cover it loosely with gauze.

Best Answer

Put Bacitracin on it and change the bandage daily.

Best Answer

I find one of the best products to use is Aloe Vera gel on burns like this. I normally apply the gel and let it, sit on it for a bit.

Afterwards, cover with a bandage. You can change this out of often and the gel is fantastic for healing your skin.

I just got a rope burn from my dog's leash this morning. I went home and ran the burn under cold water and put polysporin on it and dressed it with a band-aid. Is it safe to put an icepack on the burn after dressing it?

Answers

Best Answer

Ouchies!!

You may want to call your PCP and check with his or her nurse for the best treatment for you. Without knowing your particulars...there may be different recommendations...like if you are older and have thinning skin, the treatment is going to be different than if you are younger and have "normal" skin or if you have Diabetes or are on blood thinners you will have an even different recommendation.

If your MD doesn't have a call line, check your health insurance and see if they have a 24 hour nurse on call line (mine does). Use the number on the back of your card and ask if they have a nurse on call or a nurse line.

I say this because I had one a while back that I let go and just did like you ice and neosporin and it got infected, but I have an underlying condition that I wasn't thinking about when it happened.

Either with your doctor's nurse or a nurse line, be sure to tell them exactly what happened and if you are on any meds or remind them of any health conditions.

Feel better soon!!! Good luck!

Best Answer

Thank you both for your suggestions :). I put ice on it all day Sunday and the pain finally subsided around dinner time.

But the spot where the burn is the skin is white but doesnt hurt.

I was helping get a horse for a float when it reared up and gave me bad rope burn on my hand. It is blistering, should I go to the hospital or see a doctor?

HoLLi from VIC

Answers

By Linda (Guest Post)
Best Answer

This sounds like a rope burn-an abrasion. Keep it clean and dry, use an antibiotic ointment on it. Bandage it. If is gets oozy, red, pus comes from it or you get a fever or red streaks on your arm, see a doctor. If your last tetanus shot was more than 10 yrs ago, that would be a good idea. You can be treated in a dr. office, an ER is not necessary.

I slid my hand down a pole really fast. How do I stop the pain?

By Bob

Answers

Best Answer

Soak your hand in a bucket of ice water! Quick!