Remedies for a Stuffy Nose

Category Home Remedies
This guide contains remedies for a stuffy nose. When you can't breath through your nose, there are a variety of things you can try to get relief.

Before you head to the drugstore for a high-priced inhaler filled with mysterious chemicals, try chewing on a couple of curiously strong Altoids peppermints. They'll clear up your stuffy nose.

By Kathy

Are there any ThriftyFun readers who know of a stuffy nose remedy when in high-altitude (over 5,000 feet) for over a month?

By Abc8xyz

Answers

Best Answer

There is also a saline nasal spray that can also be bought at Walgreens or at any drugstore, I'm sure.

Walgreens.com
Drugstore.com
CVS.com
Just to name a few.

I use this spray and it has made all the difference in how I get rid of sinus infections and allergies. My stepdaughter uses a neti pot and has had great results too.

For me, the spray is more convenient. You could also try applying Vicks Vapor Rub at the bottom of your nose, NOT in or up the nostrils. There's menthol in it and it clears up the sinus passages too. Also purchased at any drugstore. I would think it is very dry where you live, so keeping the nasal passage ways moist would be important to good health for you.

You might also try heating a pan of water, NOT to boiling. Then, take a big towel and tuck your head under the towel and over the pot to make a tent. You would, of course, take the pot off the stove first. Breathe in the steam through your nose. DON'T put your face close to the water.
and DON'T breathe in the steam for long, just minutes. If it's too hot for you, wait until the water cools a little.

You don't need a great deal of heat for this trick, just a very little time should help you.

YOU DON'T WANT TO SCALD your face with the steam. Be careful. Believe me, I've scalded myself and it isn't fun (or pretty).

Add some dried rosemary to the water and give yourself a facial at the same time! Wash your face first of course. You could also try steaming up your bathroom with hot water from the shower and breathe in the steam. DON'T get in the shower at the same time, though. Again, you might severely scald yourself. Be Careful. Good luck!

How do you cure a stuffy nose?

Tonya

Answers:

Remedies for a Stuffy Nose

OK, I read this on Menshealth.com

Push against the top of your mouth (the pallete?) with your tongue for about a second ("one one thousand"). Then immediately firmly push right between your eyebrows with a finger or two for a second. Cycle through this push/push process for 5 or 6 times.

This combination rocks a nasal ridge that runs up in your sinuses where the congestion centers. Rocking that portion helps loosen congestion and lets it drain. You should notice some improvement (however temporary) within a few seconds after finishing the cycles. (05/11/2007)

By Robert

Remedies for a Stuffy Nose

I've used this for years for my nasal allergies. You can buy this Nasal Spray at WalMart ($15) or Walgreen's. It's called Nasalcrom. It used to be a prescription, but now you can buy it over the counter. I use it 1 or 2 T. every day for years and years. It may not completely unclog your stuffy nose, but it will help keep your head cleared out. (05/11/2007)

By Ace

Remedies for a Stuffy Nose

Stop dairy products, give it a week. Voila! (05/11/2007)

By Dotty

Remedies for a Stuffy Nose

It may be the air in your home or work place is to dry. Have you tried a humidifier? My bedroom is heated by electricity and the air gets very dry in the winter and my nose gets stuffy so to counter that problem I use a humidifier to moisten the air. (05/11/2007)

By Foxrun41

Remedies for a Stuffy Nose

I have suffered with sinus problems for years. In the past year I finally tried the nasal rinse, and it works really good. You can buy it at Walgreen's, CVS or Rite Aide. Any pharmacy. It is by far the best thing I have ever used. A little weird to do at first, but you will get the hang of it, and you will feel awesome. It is called NeilMed Sinus Rinse. They also carry it for children. Make sure you use the distilled water a little warm. You can look it up on the web also. (05/11/2007)

By Lisa

Remedies for a Stuffy Nose

I take vitamin C for stuffy nose and all other allergies or cold symptoms. Even in much higher doses than most people take, it does nothing but good. (05/14/2007)

By Barbara

Remedies for a Stuffy Nose

My mother taught me this when I was little and had a very stuffy nose: Just take a cloth and wet it with hot or warm water. The hotter the better! Then just hold it up to your nose and breathe in deeply. You should start to feel you nose "un-stuffing". This will not work all day. You may have to repeat this 2-6 times per day. (05/22/2007)

By Megan

Remedies for a Stuffy Nose

If the nasal spray doesn't work, I use Dayquil for daytime relief/drainage, and Nyquil for night use. It clears a lot out of my sinuses, with only a single box or less of each. I have both environmental, food sensitivities, and allergy sinus congestion, so I get serious when it comes on me. I also never allow mucous to drain down my throat without spitting it out, to prevent lung congestion/accumulation/persistent coughing, which is even harder to get over.

I blow my nose freely over a trash can into a paper towel and carefully so as not to blow the mucous into my inner ears. I wash my hands with antibacterial soap frequently, especially after blowing or touching my own mucous, to avoid spreading germs to others. If I am careful, it really makes for a quick healing and no medical bills, praise God. God bless you. : ) (06/15/2007)

By Lynda

Remedies for a Stuffy Nose

My Doc said: No cheese, dairy, alcohol, fermented things, or sad to say, chocolate to clear up stuffy nose. I also buy generic saline nose spray (saltwater spray) and it feels good it works well. (06/30/2007)

By meoowmom

Remedies for a Stuffy Nose

Hang upside down for 15 seconds, then get right side up and blow! (09/30/2007)

By Tania

Remedies for a Stuffy Nose

Hot steamy shower should fix it. (12/29/2007)

By Jim

Remedies for a Stuffy Nose

I've had a horrible flu and sinus infection for the last few days. My head and sinuses are so blocked that it feels like my head is going to explode! It's come to the point where my nose is completely stuffed and running at the same time! Also, my throat and chest are sore from endless coughing.

I did discover, by accident, two things that temporarily clear my nose:

1) peppermint candy cane
2) mouthwash

I think there is something about the peppermint that clears the sinuses?

Does anyone have any other advice for long term relief? I can't sleep!

Thanks! (01/04/2008)

By Cee

Remedies for a Stuffy Nose

At a health food store you can buy something called a NettyPot. It really works look it up on the internet! Another thing is you can have or buy eucalyptus oil (peppermint like oil) and put 3 drops into your bath tub. (It is really strong so don't put more than 3 in.) When you are in your bath breath deeply and the eucalyptus will clear you nose. (02/20/2008)

By Reader

Remedies for a Stuffy Nose

I use Little Noses and it really works. After that I blow my nose. Then I use Vaseline nose help. And blow my nose! This worked for me! (04/05/2008)

By Gianna

Remedies for a Stuffy Nose

Try Dentyne Ice: Arctic Blast [the black package]. It may be temporary, but it works nonetheless. (05/19/2008)

By Adj

Remedies for a Stuffy Nose

Stuffy noses are a hassle. What I do is take warm saltwater in a cup and pour it in each nostril. Then I blow out the water on a tissue. It works! (05/22/2008)

By Jenny

Remedies for a Stuffy Nose

Chew gum. I have a stuffy nose right now and your nose clears up in 2 minutes! :D (07/12/2008)

By Carver

Remedies for a Stuffy Nose

The one from men's health did not work for me, I have been real stuffed up for about 4 days now, and nothing has worked for me including the medicated Q-tips that you stick up your nose, they provided very temporary relief. I did try putting salt on a rag and then hot water and sniffing it. It worked a little better but also very temporary.

Vicks vapor rub is pretty good if you rub it on your neck and throat and even better if you put a warm compress on top of it. The last time I had this it's the only thing that would allow me to sleep, but now I just found this stuff at Bath and Body Works thats better than Vicks.

It is aromatherapy remedies, cold and sinus therapy with eucalyptus oil. Still working. Good luck people. Certain things work better for certain people. Just keep trying until you find the one that works best for you! (07/25/2008)

By Heidi

Remedies for a Stuffy Nose

I find for me, going up and down the stairs helps my nose for a while. Also, if you do a running type motion, that seems to get rid of my stuffy noses. Good luck (08/10/2008)

By Mel

Remedies for a Stuffy Nose

I went to a sauna for like 15 minutes and it cleared my nose and I could breathe again! (09/18/2008)

By John

Remedies for a Stuffy Nose

The hanging upside down thing works. I can breathe a little better! (09/20/2008)

By me

Remedies for a Stuffy Nose

Eat hot food! Trust me, it works. I'm a sucker for hot buffalo wings and they make my nose so clear you can smell food from the other side of the world. It works very very good (09/23/2008)

By skipster

Remedies for a Stuffy Nose

I have to agree the hanging upside down works wonders, but it may look funny.

I read somewhere on here that if you push your tongue to the top of your mouth and then quickly press in between your eyes (on your nose) that it clears it up. But you have to do it a couple of times. Do it. It works. (10/15/2008)

By Zombie

Remedies for a Stuffy Nose

Go to the doctor because you could have a really bad infection witch could cause other problems. (12/31/2008)

By patricia

Remedies for a Stuffy Nose

Ayr Nasal Rinse kit fixed me up. I use it every morning and it only takes a few seconds to wash out the nasal cavity. You can purchase the kit at Rite Aid. Cost is just a few pennies per day. (01/14/2009)

Remedies for a Stuffy Nose

Okay this is really good. I've been doing this since I was 5. I hated it but it worked. For 9 years this has always cleared up my family's sinuses. Boil some water and put it into a bigger bowl, then grab a towel any kind will do. Put it over your head with your face down in the bowl. Don't put your face in the water but hang it close and the towel will trap int the heat. The steam form the water really clears your nose.
(01/17/2009)

By annabella

Remedies for a Stuffy Nose

Don't hang upside down. It doesn't work. I tried it and I had one nasal hole congested and now I have both. (02/15/2009)

By Yokasta

Remedies for a Stuffy Nose

Eat some Chinese food with the house mustard it will open all your nasal passages up. (02/28/2009)

By star

Remedies for a Stuffy Nose

Use a Neti Pot. It clears your sinuses and can be found at Walgreens. (03/02/2009)

By Frank