Removing Adhesive from Clothes

Category Laundry
Adhesives can be difficult to remove from clothing and may require different approaches depending on the specific type. This is a guide about removing adhesive from clothes.

How can I remove the glue from a "My Name Is" sticker on a polyester shirt?

By Bernadette from NJ

Answers

By nayy (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Hairspray or vinegar also work very well!

By bob (Guest Post)
Best Answer

A solvent that you can get at Home Depot: Goof Off. It removed all the adhesive left on a couple of hockey jerseys that I took the name bars off of in seconds.

By John (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I just voted and placed the I VOTED sticker on the lapel of my new polyester jacket only to find out it left a adhesive stain when I peeled it off later. My girlfriend suggested placing scotch tape across the area and pressing down with your finger then quickly ripping it off. Worked like a charm!

Best Answer

Use duct tape to take off the sticky stuff and then wash it to remove the residue.

Best Answer

Rub some cornstarch baby powder on it. Then brush off with a clothes brush, wash in warm water. Do not dryer dry unless you see it is off.

If not, take a wet washcloth and rub it like you would a stain. Do not use any applications that would have an oil base to it. This will enhance the stain after the glue is off.

My daughter has splatters of spray adhesive on her polyester parka. I have tried going over it with an iron with a cloth on top with little success. How can I remove the adhesive stains?

By Yvonne

Answers:

How to Remove Adhesive from Clothes

Did you try Goo Gone? I'd read the instructions first, but it's a great adhesive remover.

Also, the original Dawn dishwashing liquid is a great grease dissolver.

Recently I found that Caress bath soap bar and bath gel remove my adhesive medical sticker residue from my skin. I used to use nail polish remover or rubbing alcohol, but this is much nicer.

I hope one of these work for you and good luck. (08/20/2010)

By metroplex

I used Stitchwichery on the wrong side of a pair of sweatpants. I did read the question regarding removal from polyester, but now I am desperate for help removing the glue from my son-in-laws very expensive sweats. I haven't told him yet what I did. Help. I have tried a hot iron and terry cloth towel method, Goo Gone, and stain remover. Nothing helps. Thanks.

By Sandra from Burlington, MA

Answers:

How to Remove Adhesive from Clothes

I didn't have Goo Be Gone, but it reminded me of "hand soap". A product I picked up at the 99 cent store. They don't sell it there any more, but I've seen it at hardware stores, and I bet automotive stores would have it too! It comes in a little tub, looks like a 16oz sour cream container. It contains pumice and says it removes grease, grime, dirt, ink, odors, paint, and much more. I used it on some clothes adhesive and it took it right off, I also use it for cleaning the fridge, especially the handles, and everything else that is hard to clean. Amazing how easy it works, hardly any elbow grease needed at all. I'm starting to think this is the only product one needs around the house. (07/21/2010)

By jacq.

I have removed a patch from a shirt, but the glue won't come off. I tried using an iron with no success. Any ideas?

By Shelby from Grosse Ile, MI

Answers:

How to Remove Adhesive from Clothes

Have you tried Goo Gone? It will usually remove any sticky substance. (02/11/2010)

By Wilma Long

I tried to use iron-on letters on a shirt. The letters did not stick, but the adhesive did. Any suggestions on removing the adhesive?

Jennifer from Casper, WY

Answers:

How to Remove Adhesive from Clothes

Deep Woods Off (bug spray) removes tree sap from clothes, so perhaps it would also remove adhesive. (01/06/2008)

By carol

How to Remove Adhesive from Clothes

I just used the paper towel trick by placing the paper towel over the adhesive, putting a cloth over the towel, and ironing. It worked like a charm. Thanks! (04/15/2008)

By Early Retaliation

How to Remove Adhesive from Clothes

Just used GOO GONE successfully to take adhesive out of a Spandex and Rayon garment thanks to ThriftyFun! (07/25/2008)

By clee

How to Remove Adhesive from Clothes

Hairspray or vinegar also work very well! (08/08/2008)

By nayy

How to Remove Adhesive from Clothes

A solvent that you can get at Home Depot; Goof Off. It removed all the adhesive left on a couple of hockey jerseys that I took the name bars off of in seconds. (09/11/2008)

By bob

How to Remove Adhesive from Clothes

Brake cleaner (non flammable) works instantly on polyester to remove sticker adhesive out of clothing. (10/02/2008)

How to Remove Sticker Adhesive

I just voted and placed the "I VOTED" sticker on the lapel of my new polyester jacket only to find out it left an adhesive stain when I peeled it off later. My girlfriend suggested placing scotch tape across the area and pressing down with your finger then quickly ripping it off. Worked like a charm! (11/04/2008)

By John

How to Remove Adhesive from Clothes

The scotch tape idea from John is the best. I just took off sticker glue from a cotton sweater that has been there through several washes. (11/15/2008)

By Jimmy

How to Remove Adhesive from Clothes

I used the scotch tape method, as I like to avoid chemicals whenever possible. It worked eventually. Do not give up with only one application. I did it over and over - sometimes grabbing a piece that was pulling up with the tape to "help" it off. It did work well, though it takes some determination. Still way better than having to use chemicals in my opinion. (01/14/2009)

By J in NC.

A friend of mine asked me if I could help her. A label was applied to a rayon/polyester dress and then forgotten. It was washed and now there is a sticky adhesive on the dress. Do you know how this could be removed?

Mavis

Answers:

Iron over it with a paper towel

Just iron over it with a paper towel on the garment and a cloth over that. That way, the glue will melt and go on the paper towel, but it won't burn because you are actually ironing the cloth one. Lisa (11/30/2000)

By admin2

"Un Du"

You can use a product called "Un Du " works great, and also Goo gone. Both are great, My daughter uses Goo gone all of the time to get oil out of her clothes from work. Works on anything sticky. Hope this helps Rosa (11/30/2000)

By admin2

I actually found the answer to my own question of last week.

It's up to you if you want to post it in case others with the same problem could use the answer. I found it at www.tide.com Here it is:"Advice from the Stain Detective, customized to help remedy your stain problem. Stain: Epoxy Resins/super glue Color: Colored, Printed or has Color Trim Fabric: Polyester Steps: * 1. Before treating any garment, always refer to the care label instructions first. 2. Colored items must be protected by pretesting the effects of stain removal techniques on a hidden area of the item. * 3. Use the solvent specified by the manufacturer.* 4. Pre treat with Liquid Tide and TideKick. * 5. Wash in 1 use of Tide in warm water. If there is any stain remaining . * 6. Repeat procedure if necessary." Mavis (11/30/2000)

By admin2

Goo-Gone

There's a product called Goo-Gone that will work to remove all kinds of adhesives to clothes (and carpets, etc.). My parents used to use lighter fluid and it works the same way, but it seems to me that Goo-Gone, besides smelling better, would be safer. Diane (11/30/2000)

By admin2

How to Remove Adhesive from Clothes

i got super glue on my trousers

really noticable

tried scrubbing and nail polish remover

where can you buy this goo-gone?

does it work? (06/08/2005)

By louise

How to Remove Super Glue from Clothes

Hi Louise,
Goo Gone is available at many grocery stores in the hardware section or any hardware store. There is also a Super Glue solvent available at hardware stores, too.
Good luck,
Susan (06/08/2005)

By Susan Sanders-Kinzel

How to Remove Adhesive from Clothes

I have had this happen before also, and I found that lighter fluid will remove it easily without ruining the color or fabric. Just pour lighter fluid on the spot and rub with a dry cloth and wash immediatly with your regular laundry. Since this is flammable, please use with caution. Good luck.
Vanessa (08/01/2006)

By Vanessa

How to Remove Adhesive from Clothes

I'm in New Zealand and can't get Go-gone easily but the lighter fluid trick worked a TREAT with my son's white school top. I'd just be worried about colour fading with colours if they were new clothes and the die was not "washed out".
MANY thanks for the lighter fluid tip.

Terry (06/27/2007)

By Terry