Removing Burns from Stainless Steel Pan

I let my stainless steel grill get too hot. It is burnt, scorched. Any suggestions on getting it back to looking shiny?

Richard from Columbus, OH

Answers:

Removing Burns from Stainless Steel Pan

I have always wet the burned area and sprinkled baking soda on it and made a light paste and let it set overnight and the next day, it is so easy to clean. The burned food comes right off with the baking soda. Hope it works for you.

By Brenda (07/02/2007)

By cassiegirl

Removing Burns from Stainless Steel Pan

I have used a number of the above tips over the years, but when I purchased a very expensive set of pans after I had retired I learned some things. One is about the cleanser that they sent with the pans, "Bar Keeper's Friend". It is a very fine scouring powder.

When I burned some veggies in olive oil the other day, I first put a couple inches of water, shook in a generous 2-3 Tbs. baking soda and brought it to a boil. After letting it cool, emptying it and using a "non-scratch" pad I still had stains. The Bar Keeper's Friend on a dampened paper towel shined it right up. I always towel dry after the final rinse to keep spots off. (09/21/2007)

By Carolyn

Removing Burns from Stainless Steel Pan

I read the first few posts and didn't have any of the things suggested to remove stains (university student) so I just simmered white vinegar in the pan and gently stirred the bottom with a dish scrubber (the kind with a handle and bristles). The burns bubble and loosen quite quickly.

It was my roommate's pan and I burnt it horrifically. I had it back in the cupboard, spotless, all before she was out of the shower. Very effective. (Don't lean over the pan when the vinegar is evaporating, or you get a "cutting onions" response.) (11/01/2007)

By Cait Don

Removing Burns from Stainless Steel Pan

About removing stains from the outside of the pan, just do whatever you would for the inside, but in a pan or bowl large enough to fit your stained pan inside of. If you prefer to soak it in a solution, fill a bowl (or sink, if it is a wok, etc.) with the solution and place your pan inside; likewise, if you prefer to simmer a solution, do so in the larger pan and let your burned pan sit in the simmering solution. Hopefully, it works for you! (11/01/2007)

By Cait Don

Removing Burns from Stainless Steel Pan

I burned tomato soup in my stainless steel saucepan and tried everything I knew to do. I had already tried the Barkeeper's Friend, and it got rid of a lot of it, but a quarter sized piece would not come out. I found this site and tried the white vinegar, and it worked. It took about 10 minutes or more before it started working, but it finally did. Thanks. I've had the set of pans for over 30 years now, and wouldn't trade them for anything. (08/23/2008)

By Julia

Removing Burns from Stainless Steel Pan

On the outside of the pan, try a new green scotch bright pad and Barkeeper's Friend liquid. It has citric acid that chemically removes the stain. I use this on stainless steel piping in food plants when we weld them. Also, you can try a new "stainless steel" wire brush from a welding supply store. Make sure it is not ordinary steel brush. It will leave scratches that will continue to rust forever. (11/25/2008)

By Gregroy

Editor's Note: You might want to use the Scotch "Blue" pad rather than the "Green" one, as it is less abrasive.

Removing Burns from Stainless Steel Pan

Put an inch or so of water in the pan. Cover the burned area heavily with table salt. Bring to a boil - the burned areas should peel off with a rubber spatula. If any remains, try a second time. My pan looked good as new - after burned cranberries, oranges, sugar, and raisins. (12/06/2008)

By Mary H

Removing Burns from Stainless Steel Pan

I burned oil in my pan, this is what I did:

I put water in the pan then poured baking soda over the stained area and then brought it to a slight boil, then I scrubbed it off with a scrubby sponge. What didn't come off that round I removed by using the baking soda as an abrasive and got the last bit off. Now you would never know that I burned dinner. (01/04/2009)

By Melanie

Removing Burns from Stainless Steel Pan

Throw a whole dishwashing tablet in there and let it soak overnight. That's if it's burnt on grease. (02/04/2009)

By Neko