Removing Dead Animal Smells from a Dog

Category Grooming
When your fourlegged friends are out playing they can get into some situations that result in them coming home reeking. This is a guide about removing dead animal smell from a dog.

I need a remedy to get dead salmon stink off a dog.

Melissa from Fairbanks AK

Answers

Best Answer

Give the dog a bath in white vinegar. It's supposed to remove the smell of skunks too.

Hope it works for you. Good luck!

Best Answer

You might want to try canned tomato juice. I've read that it removes skunk scent, so I'd think that it should work for rotten fish smell. Apparently you apply the canned tomato juice to the dog, leave in for a few hours and then shampoo. Hope this works, even skunk scent doesn't smell as bad to me as rotten fish! By the way, I live in Juneau and we certainly have our share of fish carcasses littering our beaches!

Best Answer

Thanks! The white vinegar worked. I then used regular shampoo after so I didn't have to smell the vinegar anymore. Thanks!

My Lab rolls in rotting animals that he finds, while exploring the area. My sense of smell is killing me. How to rid him of this disgusting odor?

Answers

Best Answer

Well, it's not so much the smell I would be worried about, but rather the possible vermin, disease, or chemical (if the animal was poisoned) your dog could pick up on its fur and possibly later lick off. Unfortunately unless you are going to figure out a way to keep your pup away from things like that, I'm thinking a bath each time may be the safest bet. Also, call the vet to see if there is something they can recommend to stop the pup from doing it.

Anonymous
Best Answer

Give your dog a bath by wetting the hair lather with lots of Dawn dish washing liquid. Then use baking soda to coat the hair completely. Next pour vinegar all over the hair. This neutralizes odors. Let sit for 5 min while massaging it in, and rinse. Follow with shampoo. This also works great on skunk spray! Your dog will b odor free!!