Removing Fabric Softener Odor from Down Comforter

When I washed my goose down comforter I used fabric softener. Now it has an odor. What do you recommend?

It's probably from condensate because down is very hard to dry. I would leave it out in the sun to hang for as long as possible.

Nok-Out removes odors. You can get it at Amazon.

I always use very, very little soap and at least one vinegar rinse when doing my down comforters and usually do a second vinegar rinse just to be sure as this is not something that I do very often and mine always smell nice and fresh. One or two cups of vinegar is all that is needed for a full (large or extra large) load.

You may have to try doing a couple of rinses to remove this odor (and film) from your comforter.
I always begin my drying outside (sunshine) and when partially dry I then start drying in dryer with no heat to begin the fluffing (I use 2 or 3 tennis balls in my dryer) (adding a large dry towel helps this process). Check often to be sure it is not rolled into a ball. After maybe 25 - 30 minutes of fluffing, I remove the comforter and either return to out side or lay it flat over a sofa back to air dry a little more. Later, I return it to the dryer (no heat) to complete the task.
Goose down does not always do well with dryer heat and may even leave an odor of its own.
This may seem like a long (overdone) process but I have down comforters that are well over 15 years old and still look and smell like new.
Here are a couple of tips from comforter manufacturers about goose down:

Fabric Softener Not recommended because it will coat the down and reduces its fluff.
Clumping or Odor These are signs that your comforter is not dry yet. You want it to be completely dry to prevent mold.

living.thebump.com/wash-goose-down-comforters-washing...

I have washed my goose down comforter at home for 25 years. I use regular detergent, but a little less than recommended. I NEVER use fabric softener as this is NOT recommended by manufacturers of down comforters. Dryer balls are now made of silicone and others made of wool. Use them in the dryer with your comforter. I dried my comforter in the dryer last night for 2 hours and at the 1 hour time I repositioned it to get the parts that had been on the interior of the comforter mass to dry.

If you use a duvet, turn the duvet inside out with the opening at the bottom of the bed. Lay the comforter on top of duvet. Start rolling the top layer of duvet with the comforter. When you reach the top of the duvet, pull the bottom layer of duvet to the top of the bed and unroll. Voila! Youre ready for a warm and cozy sleep tonight!

Home and Garden Cleaning Linens and BlanketsMay 31, 2017
🎉
🎄