How to Remove Hair Dye Stains from Clothing

While permanent hair dye stains on clothing are very difficult to remove, this page has some advice that may help. This page is about how to remove hair dye stains from clothing.

I got a small stain of brown hair dye in my peach skirt. Is there anyway to get it out? If I have to bleach it and it goes white how can I dye it back to peach?

Answers

Best Answer

I wear old clothes because I have never successfully removed hair dye, but I found this article and the suggestions may work for you. http://web.exte … detail.cfm?ID=68

Best Answer

You do not say what type of fabric so we can only offer generic suggestions. The main concern would be what type of material and how long has the stain been on the skirt? And - has it been dried in a dryer? These seem to be the most important factors in trying to remove a stain like this.
Here are some sites that give some suggestions - you may wish to read several before attempting any one thing:

http://classroo … lothes-9014.html

http://www.stai … ain-removal.html

Will ammonia get hair dye out of clothes?

By Barbara

Answers

Best Answer

I have never had luck removing permanent hair dye, but you could try using this advice from the Illinois Extension:

Steps to Clean

Pretreat the stain with heavy-duty liquid detergent. Rinse.
Soak fabric in dilute solution of all-fabric powdered bleach.
If stain persists and garment is white or colorfast, soak entire garment in diluted solution of liquid chlorine bleach and water. Chlorine bleach may change the color of the garment or cause irreversible damage. Check for bleach tolerance on a hidden seam. If stain does not come out in 15 minutes of bleaching, if cannot be removed by bleaching.

If bleaching is not safe or does not work, use a commercial color remover according to package directions. Note that color remover will take out the fabric color as well as the stain. Do not exceed 160 degrees Fahrenheit water with any synthetic fabrics*. Launder.

How can I remove hair color stains from clothing?

By Tracy from Fort Scott, KS

Answers

Best Answer

Spray it immediately with hair spray and then treat with Dawn dish liquid or Lava soap.

Does anyone know how to remove hair dye stain from clothing? I recently was coloring my hair in the bathroom and the clothes were hanging in there to dry. I have recently had shoulder surgery and can only reach with one hand, so it was quite awkward and foolish of me to do it myself. If anyone has suggestions please let me know.

Thanks
Wyla from Houston, Texas

Answers

Best Answer

Ive had similar things happen and most of the time,if its perminant, I can't get the stain out.

But sometimes if its the semi-perminant dye. I have luck with using hand cleaner that men use in garages. I just use it like stain stick and it sometimes works. Good luck!

How do I remove dark brown hair color from a hot pink 100% cotton tank top?

Answers

You can mix together 2 cups of cold water, 1 tablespoon of liquid dishwashing detergent and one tablespoon of white vinegar in a bowl. Use a clean cloth or sponge to dip in the liquid. Apply to the stain and blot dry.

Soak in a 5 gallon pail. Use hot water. Add 2T each dishwasher powder and hydrogen peroxide. Soak overnight and wash in the morning

I have a feeling that stain is there to stay. You could try soaking it in some diluted Oxiclean. Best wishes!

I need to know how to remove hair dye from clothing. Could someone please help me?

gmm369

Answers:

Cascade and Clorox 2

This happened to me once. I got the dye out by soaking the shirt in a mixture of hot water and equal parts powdered Cascade dishwasher detergent, and powdered Clorox 2.

By teddygirl