AdviceCleaning

Removing Mildew from a Composition Doll

I have a doll that is 70 years old. It is a composition doll that had quite a lot of mildew. I did my best to remove the mildew, but there is a residual odor. What is the best, safest method of removing mildew and odor from a 40s composition doll?

Use Nok-Out. It will remove the odor. Try a Magic Eraser to remove the mildew.

You may want to call a doll hospital and ask as the old dolls are very fragile and can be easily damaged. I would not use anything with out consulting a pro.

This one is on my bucket list to visit if I get to the center of PA again any time soon.

www.villagedollhospital.com/

You do not say if this is a keepsake doll or one that you plan to sell but if it means very much to you then I would suggest you not try any cleaning yourself as these dolls (this old) can be very fragile and once damaged may not be repairable.

You can Google vintage doll cleaning/repair with your zip code to see if there may be someone in your area that specializes in restoring antique dolls.
At least try to find out how much someone will charge to clean your doll and then decide what the doll means to you.

There are a lot of sites that give instructions on cleaning but I would certainly use caution when trying any method.
This is a very good site but it is very long and encompasses many types of repairs but you might find something useful in their instructions.

www.thesprucecrafts.com/doll-restoration-overview-4080150

I also use this site when I'm working with older dolls.

antiques.lovetoknow.com/Antique_Doll_Repair