OdorsCleaning

Removing Musty Odor from Upholstery Sample Books

I have several upholstery sample books that smell musty as they were stored in a garage. I want to use them to sew projects, but need to remove the smell. Any suggestions?

Been there. This is a tough one. Some fabrics cannot be saved. I had some that I sprinkled with baking soda and put them in the freezer, then after about a week, shook them out good and let them sit in the sun for an afternoon and it lessened the smell pretty well. Those were the cotton/poly blends. The rayons and silks were the challenges. I ended up having to use them in a project where they were framed so they couldn't smell up the room (since they were still pretty, just a little stinky). Some (because they smelled and had stains) had to be tossed.

Hope this works for you!

I would leave them in a hot sun for a couple of days - the sun shine kills a lot of the mildewy smell

as well you can try spraying with a mix of 50% vinegar, 50% water, and 10 drops of tea tree oil. Spray every surface and that should work