Removing Old Paint from an Exposed Deck

My deck was previously painted. The paint is peeling badly and I want to remove it and stain the deck. I've tried scraping and removed some of it, but was told that if I sand it I will just end up clogging the sand paper and have to keep changing the paper. Is there a better/easier way to remove the paint?

If it is oil based paint (and it probably is because this is what they generally use for outdoor paints) then simply get some mineral spirits and saturate the paint, wiping off the excess. If it is acrylic/water based paints, then you must look for a solvent that is specific to acrylics - something acetone based, most likely

There are paint removers that are sold at Home Depot. They also sell high quality large paint scrapers, which I used to scrape off paint from badly rusted iron railings.