Removing Salad Dressing Stains From Silk

Salad dressing stains can be difficult to remove from fabric. This is a guide about removing salad dressing stains from silk.

I just bought a new silk sweater set and my first time wearing it I got mayo dressing on it. How can I take the grease from mayo out of silk?

Messy Jessie from Nova Scotia

Answers

Don't treat the stain. Take it to the dry cleaners as soon as possible. Tell them what the stain is, maybe they can help.

By jkb82 (Guest Post)

try covering the stain with talc powder and allowing it to sit for a day or two. the stain should come out.

Well, I took my silk skirt to the cleaners..they apologised for not managing to get rid of the marks..even with extra spot cleaning. Suggested I should hand wash it as I had nothing to lose. However before I added water I read the tips about talc, and infact I used cornflour!

I just rubbed it carefully into the marked area, placed some white kitchen roll on top, heated up with a hot iron, removed paper towel and brushed off........ FANTASTIC!!!! no marks to be seen. Am going back to the cleaners tomorrow to pass on the tip! ...or should I? !!!! ;-)

By Guest (Guest Post)

Be careful when using HEAT to remove stains, it makes some types of stains permanent. better to do a little testing on a concealed area of fabric. before u try using heat.

I'd rub a solution of Dawn and water into the grease stain, then hand wash the item.

By Linda (Guest Post)

I got a salad dressing stain on a dark blue silk blouse I had JUST gotten back from the cleaners. All I had was an anti-fungal powder (!) so I put that on thickly, pressed it in with my finger, put a paper towel over and ironed over a couple of times.

I brushed it off and Voila!! stain GONE. Amazing!

This is a new silk tie, 100% silk, made in China. It was stained with salad dressing in two small places. Nothing has been used so far for fear a having a ring after using the wrong liquid.

By Diane G.

Answers

Oh yikes, this is one stain you may have trouble with. Have you tried any of the suggestions on the linked pages here?

I avoid silk because of the stain factor; wouldn't know how to clean it safely and it's so expensive! Good luck, I hope you can save the tie.

Take it to a dry cleaner and tell them what the stain is. They have the right stuff to get out most any stain.