Removing Scratches from Dishes

Category Dishes
This is a guide about removing scratches from dishes. Sometimes silverware can cause scratches on your dishes.

My husband is a heavy stirrer and our everyday porcelain dishes were showing flatware scuffing. I tried the Weiman's Stove Top Cleaner. Rubbing with a damp paper towel, this is the cleaning results from a moderate swiping motion. I did half of the bowl for comparison purposes.

Top Comment

I use Bar Keepers Friend for that same purpose. It probably works the same way and doesn't hurt the surface at all.

My gorgeous Floral Expressions plates got horribly scratched from cutting our food the first time we used them! They were so pretty it makes me sick! I'm so cheap, I really don't want to buy anything. Isn't there some concoction I can mix up from household stuff? I've tried the baking soda and water paste with lots of elbow grease and it didn't work. Thanks!

luvvy from Southwest, VA

Answers

Tried pencil eraser. Didn't work at all.

I have off white pfaltzgraff dishes and I use barkeepers friend. It has low grit, is very gentle and is made for items such as these. You can find it in the aisle next to the Ajax scrub.

Have you tried Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser? Love it for many removals. Hope it works.

I used glass/ceramic cook-top cleaner to remove a scratch on my son's car, maybe it would work on your plates as well, worth a try. Hope it works

Phyllis in Oregon

I tried the toothpaste and baking soda and regretfully no results. Hope to find another trick. Thanks anyway.

Try Barkeeper's friend. It's sold in most grocery stores. You'll find it where the ajax and comet is located. Also go to www.barkeepersfriend.com to see a list of uses. I recommend mixing as a paste. Apply to the plate. First let it sit on the plate for at least ten minutes then with a toothbrush or sponge gently wipe the white center first. The color might fade. I use Corelle dishware. I have continously used barkeeper's friend for years. This product polishes brass, use on plastic, glass, stainless steel, porcelin etc. Go to the site to read more about this great product. I would never be without it!

Jennifer CA

I had the same problem. I called the manufacturer and they said to use Zud. It works great. Can be found in the Ajax/Comet aisle.

I tried the pencil eraser on my luminarc black plates. Metal scratches from knives... works great! Thanks so much for the suggestion!

Can anyone please advise me on how to remove spoon marks from the inside of Corelle coffee mugs? I have tried scourers, bleach, vinegar, bicarb, salt and soaking them in different mixes of these items. They are still there. Please help.

By Ann from Hobart, Tasmania

Answers

Try the new fangled sponges that clean just about anything. I use 'em on my floors (scuffs), on my dry erase board, on my refrigerator that had the plastic wrap marks on it from delivery, those things clean just about anything. Good luck!

Baking soda and water, or sos (steel wool) pads work on coffee and tea stains.

A scouring powder called Barkeepers Friend is great for this. I have some small white bowls that so the same thing.

Thank you Lizzyanny, Leapord and halfwhit.I have just received your response and will try anything, I expect it will take me a few days to try them and I am sure to get back to you all and let you know what works.
Thank you
Lucky Me

I'm an artist and I paint on colored glass plates. It is very hard to find new plates as there are not very many companies making colored glass plates these days. So I'm stuck buying used/vintage ones and most have scratches from utensils. I can't find any great source directed to colored glass plates only other types of plates and don't know if they would work. I hope someone can help me :)

Answers

I don't know if you could buff them out??? But, I have seen quite a few colored glass plates at the $1 stores. Have you checked those?