Removing Wrinkles from a Polyester Tablecloth

When wrinkles get set into permanent press fabric it can be a challenge to remove. This is a guide about removing wrinkles from a polyester tablecloth.

I have a 100% polyester 108 in. tablecloth that I cannot remove the wrinkles. When I iron it, the section that I have finished ironing becomes wrinkled when I start to iron a new section. Since it is a large tablecloth, I find it difficult to handle.

I have a front load washer and use delicate cycle, and spin it on the lowest speed. I do not use the dryer. I don't have an outside clothesline so I hang it over my shower curtain rod. I have tried many different ways to remove the wrinkles and nothing seems to help. I would appreciate any ideas or advice. Thanks.

By it's.only.me from PA

Answers

I fold my largest table cloths in half and iron close to a bed so I can spread the cloth as it's ironed across the bed. It's not perfect even then but better than it was before. In my opinion, when something is that hard to care for it's not worth it. I don't use mine anymore!

Take it to a dry cleaners to be" just pressed." Make sure the tablecloth is clean with no grease spots first.

Good Luck, GG Vi

You can iron the polyester table cloth using a "pressing" cloth. I used to put creases in polyester pants that way way back when.

Find a cotton cloth - an unfolded diaper works great or a cotton dish towel - not one with nibs or nubbles in it. Dampen the cloth and place over the part of the table cloth that you want to iron. The steam from the pressing cloth helps to get the wrinkles out. As the pressing cloth dries out from ironing you will have to re-dampen.

You will be amazed at how well this works. Back when we did more ironing, using a pressing cloth was more common. It is also useful when ironing something very dark - like black or navy blue shirts. It will prevent the shine that comes from the ironing.

Hope this helps.

You could try using a spray starch as you iron this should prevent the creases returning as you manipulate the table cloth on your ironing board.