Removing a Cooking Oil Stain On Carpet

Category Carpet
Hand scrubbing and oil stain out of a carpet.
Oil stains on carpet can be a challenge to clean. This is a guide about removing a cooking oil stain on carpet.

My husband prepared to drink his morning health drink of Odwalla Superfood fruit juice with about 1-2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Well, he spilled it on our carpet. I used our Bissell steam cleaning machine with Bissell deep cleaning liquid on it, the juices came out but I can still see the oil stain. Is there anything else that I can use to remove the olive oil stain from my carpet?

Janice from Selah, WA

Best Answer

Hi Janice! The first thing I'll say is that I have NOT tried this BUT I know what I would try. I don't know how large your oil stains are but I would try a THIN coat of Dawn dish washing liquid and, depending on your carpet pile, rub it in either with a tooth brush or fingers (rubber gloves?). I'd let it sit for a few minutes then I'd start to rinse it out with clean water until the area doesn't suds any more.

I have never had Dawn fail on getting oil stains out of laundry; fresh and old dried on stains. I hope this helps. I'm sure there will be a lot of other great ideas from the wonderful members of this site.

Best Answer

Try using Dylon Stain Devil no 2, I think, or else put some blotting paper over the stain and iron it.

Best Answer

Saturating the stain with cornstarch would be cheaper than the baby powder, but that's the first thing I would try. Really grind it into the stain, let it set for a day or two, and then vacuum it up. May take a couple of tries.

Susan in Omaha

I mixed baking soda powder with ground-up salt and rubbed it into my carpet with a broom. How can I remove it? Since then I sprayed on coconut oil, which is a solid unless it's a hot day. Thanks.

I'm thinking you need to have that professionaly cleaned, if your efforts were in vain.

Salt and baking soda should suck up some of the oil, but hot water, alcohol, dish detergent, and sometimes an iron on top of it, should do the trick as well, as in this video: https://youtu.be/ianN1VKReUc

https://youtu.be/k5sLHj3WSW8

From Hybrid Rasta Mama:Blot the excess coconut oil out with towels. Use plain, white towels, as coconut oil can remove dyes from towels or paper towels if the dyes are of a poor quality and not set into the fabric of paper correctly. Apply baking soda, arrowroot powder, or cornstartch to the stain. Sprinkle it generously over the stain.Sep 4, 2013