Removing a Splinter

A tiny piece of wood can be very irritating under the skin and a challenge to remove. This guide is about removing a splinter.

With the weather warming, we can all get out and take a walk enjoying the beauty of nature. While you're walking, look for pine sap. We get the pine sap and put it in a empty medicine container. Get enough to fill the container.

If you ever get a sliver of glass or a thorn in your foot or hand, put sap on the area where the piece of glass or splinter is. Sometime the area is sore and you can't see the item. Cover with a band aid. Keep covered each day with fresh pine pitch until it draws the little piece out. You will know when its out as it will no longer hurt.

This really works. I broke a glass while doing dishes and I had to do this to get a piece of glass out that was so tiny I couldn't see, but it hurt. I also used it when my children were young to remove sand spurs when we lived in Florida. It really works, and all it costs is your time while you walk in nature.

By Dorothy from New Creek, WV

To get out the splinter, put a drop of glue where the splinter sticks out. Let the glue dry, then peel the glue. The splinter will stick to the glue and go with the glue, right to the garbage can.

Using Elmer's Glue

To remove a splinter, simply apply some Elmer's glue over the splinter. After the glue dries, peel it off and the splinter will often come out also. This is especially helpful on children who are frightened by tweezers and needles. Our family relies on this method of splinter removal as it is painless.

By Barbara

Using Scotch Tape

When you get a splinter, reach for the scotch tape before resorting to tweezers or a needle. Simply put the scotch tape over the splinter, and then pull it off. Scotch tape removes most splinters painlessly and easily.

By Paper from Powell River, BC

When you or a loved one has a splinter put glue (Elmer's glue or similar) on it. Let it dry for 15-20 minutes. When it dries, peel off the glue and the splinter should come out with it. This eliminates the use of tweezers, pins and most importantly lessens the chance of an infection.

Source: Dr. OZ Show

By Michele from Bangor, PA

Where can I purchase black salve?

mstricia37 from Chicago, IL

Answers

I still get black salve from my local pharmacy.

Yes http://www.blacksalveinfo.com has great info on black salve, even pictures of the process, but if you want to purchase the black salve that works on skin cancers you get it from http://www.BestOnEarthProducts.com They do not carry the old black salves used for taking out splinters and boils.

I think we called it wholly salve when I was young. My mother used it when I got a splinter. She heated the end with a match, let it cool a little and applied it to the splinter. It worked too.

What in the world is Black Salve and how do you use it?

<b>Editor's Note</b> Black salve is a herbal paste used for drawing when applied to the skin over tumors, skin tags, moles and infections.

The last time I bought some, I got it at Walgreen's. It was behind the Pharmacy counter. It's also called Ichthamol Ointment.

Wal-mart has (or used to because I have bought it there) black drawing salve called Prid. It is in a little orange tin container. It is in the pharmacy section.

There are many different types and names of "black salve." I have used "prid" as person below but my grandmother and mother (and myself) use black salve from Watkins. It comes in an orange tin and they also have menthol which comes in a green tin. I myself perfer the Watkins salve. There are many dealers for Watkins and they have a website also. You might also find some selling at craft fairs and flea markets.
Thanks! Jan