Removing a Willow Tree

A tenacious, deciduous tree that thrives when lots of moisture is available. This guide is about removing a willow tree.

I have a huge willow tree that unfortunately we will be removing. Will the roots still grow? Or by leaving just a stump will that stop the growth of all the roots?

Answers

Since the tree is large, you cannot remove it yourself. The company that does it must remove the stump and cut all the roots. Here is an article that explains the procedure: homeguides.sfgate.com/dig-out-willow-tree-37712.html

It is best to remove the stump completely so the tree will not regrow.

a willow stump will most definitely grow back again in the fullness of time. Options include stump removal, digging around the stump, and herbicide.

More info found here homeguides.sfgate.com/stop-stumps-regrowing-73576.html

Pls do not use herbicides. Most herbicides are responsible for bee colony collapse.

We need bees as pollinators and they are dying off because of herbicide use

So many have said that the tree will keep growing after it's cut down. I have a different experience. I had a beautiful willow tree that got severely damaged during an ice storm in 1996. it had to be cut down. The stump is still there just as it was the day it was cut down. Nothing has ever grown back and I put a planter of trailing flowers on it every year.

Hello !
That is right not every willow will grow again after being cut because there are different types of willows and trees are just like humans. An old and big willow will not recover and will not grow again as rapidly as a young one. Willows do not live long anyway. The white willow: Salix viminalis lives only 30 years and Salix caprea only 50 years which is a quite short life for a tree.

If you buy a house with a 30 years old willow in the garden you don't have to worry about the damage the willow can do to water pipes because at this age it has already reached its full growth and will not do more damage than it has already done. New shoots from a cut down willow start from the bark or the roots but not from deeper in the stump than only the bark thickness and if the willow is very old and its bark is very thick and very hard, it will not be possible for the new shoots to appear on the stump. That is why one way to avoid the regrowth of a willow from a stump is to chop off the bark. An old tree also creates a microclimate with, for example, the shadow the branches makes around the foot of the tree, and when suddenly the foot and the superficial roots are back in full sun because the willow was cut down it can dry out the soil and stop the tree producing new shoots, especially a willow which depends so much on water supply in its early years.

Ok, we cut down a 70 year old willow tree. About 15 feet from where it was cut we are putting a swimming pool. There are roots in this area. My question is, am I in danger of a new tree growing under my pool where the roots were cut into for leveling the ground for my above ground pool?

Answers

Put in a root barrier and bury it 2 feet deep.

Talk to where you are buying the pool and get their expert feedback. They know what will work best in your area.

Roots can be a nightmare. We took down a locust tree 8 years ago or so and still every year have to pull locust babies from along the path of the roots...some as far as 20 feet from the site of original tree. That all said, I know locust trees are much more insidious than willows...so best to ask the pros and nip that problem in the bud!

Good luck!

Most likely those roots are still alive so try to remember how far out that willow tree extended as the roots will go out as far as the canopy of the willow tree extended.

• I am not familiar with a willow tree but I have had other trees come up more than 15 feet from where a different type of old tree was cut.
  • I believe your county extension agent could probably tell you what to do about the roots or even if you need to do nothing.
  • Ad

• Google county extension service with your zip code and you should find a link with a name to contact.
  • pickyourown.org/countyextensionagentoffices.htm

Willow roots are very attracted to water, if you are putting in a swimming pool I would suggest digging up any roots from the willow tree before you put in the pool.

On the right side of our house, 10 feet apart from the house foundation, there is a willow tree, its height is just above the house's roof (two stories). It has been about 7 years old since it was planned by the previous owner.

I am told that if a willow tree is too close to the house, it will cause problems. If it is 10 feet away could it be a problem? I have decided to remove it, any ideas for what would be the best way to get rid of this tree? Thank you for any info.

Charles from NJ

Answers

By (Guest Post)

Ten feet away from your house is not far enough. The willow tree roots spread fast and far. These roots can also damage your leach bed lines if you have a septic tank system.

When my husband cut our willow trees down (too old and messy) to ground level; he then axed into the trunk base and put limbs and twigs into it and burned it away throughout the summer.