ToysCleaning

Removing an Odor from an Antique Doll

Does anyone know how to remove an odor from an antique doll? It smells like someone has thrown up. I have tried charcoal, baking soda, and newspaper to no avail.

By Joan

Try Hydrogen peroxide after testing a small spot first.

Maybe try: airing doll outside out of direct sun, but in a safe place with much air circulation
--seal in bag with coffee grounds
--seal in bag with fabric softener sheet (the 'free and clear' kind was suggested)
--keep baking soda near the doll when storing and store in a cool, dry place, obviously.
I'm trying to get a musty smell out of a book and currently have it in a sealed bag with baby powder and baking soda, and wrapped in newspaper. Sounds like what you tried, except for the baby powder. I think I'll throw out the old baking soda and baby powder and newspapers soon and start fresh if the smell lingers.

Good luck! I found these ideas in a quick online search and hope at least one works. I'm a doll lover, also. :)

My mom got rotten chicken smell out of a camper fridge that was accidentally turned off. First, she tried everything she could think of. Then, someone told her to get some cotton balls, put them in a bowl and dowse them down with vanilla. She did that and put it in the fridge for awhile (she doesn't remember how long). It worked! And you know how rotten chicken smells! Might stain, don't let it come in contact with the doll or clothes.