Repairing a Cut in Leather

Category Other
A cut in the leather upholstery of your furniture, car, or other items made of leather is damage that may be best left to the professionals. However, if you are game to try there are products and methods that might do the trick. This is a guide about repairing a cut in leather.

My wife's dog ate the corner of my leather couch. It is 8 in. x 4 in.. Is there anywhere that sells corner covers or something like that? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix the couch?

By Baughman from Indianola, IA

Answers

In the malls the leather stores may be able to help. There is a putty you can buy, spread and it will dry-but I think it is for small holes. Find a shoe repair store, or an Amish leather repair person, or one who does work on saddles and horse harness'. They would be able to repair or sell you dye to match leather.

Call a furniture re-upholstery place and ask what it will cost to recover just that section. It's not terribly expensive, and get YOUR dog a hard rubber cong toy to chew on (my husband brought a dog into our marriage...it destroyed everything! But it is still our dog, "love me love my dog"...accept it and move on!) And have a happy and long marriage.

P.S."MY leather couch"...sounds like you guys are room mates NOT husband and wife.

Not sure if you fixed the hole yet, but I just found this product that is a patch for leather and other fabrics. I used it to cover a hole I tried to repair with one of those paint on repair kits (what a mess). Have a look, the site is http://www.mast  where-to-start/. Good Luck!

How can I repair a cut on a leather sofa?

Scott from Lakeland, FL

Answers

Try CVS or another drug chain. They often have these cool kits that have some sort of thick liquid stuff that you paint on and it's for leather or leatherette repair. It might involve some sort of mesh to put under the tear or cut before you bind it with the repair goo. Good luck.

On the Internet, there are many GREAT leather repair kits for about $35, that assure the purchaser that they will be satisfied. I'd try it on the underneath side of the sofa on a patch of leather there first. If happy, voila! If not, keep trying all around the underside until you either get the knack or give up and pay a professional. A LOT depends upon getting the color exactly right, having a VERY steady hand and following their directions EXACTLY. Good luck and God bless you. : )

I accidentally cut a slit in the leather seat of my car. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to repair it so it will not be so visible?

By EMG