Repairing a Merry-Go-Round Music Box

Category Toys

To repair a toy musical carousel you may need to take the music box to a clock repair or jeweler to make sure the delicate parts will work properly.

I brought a Coney Island merry go round 4 years ago. The girls were too young to have it. Now at 5 years old, it's been packed away in the box, the carousel won't turn. The lights and music work, but the table won't turn. Is there anyone who can fix it? I payed $150. for it. It's a beautiful item.

By Lorraine from Washington, DC

Answers

Best Answer

There is probably a speck of rust or dust interfering with the movement gears. The best thing to do with an item this costly is to take it to a jeweler for repairs, music boxes have such tiny parts that the specialised tiny jewelers tools (and repair skills) are what are needed to do the work.

If it were mine I wouldn't even try using a canned air spray to try to clean the insides because of the delicacy-too great a chance of dislodging a tiny vital piece, and possibly losing it altogether.

Best Answer

Check first to see if it has a stop somewhere. Then you may need to take it apart and see if all the solder is alright.

I would recommend you take it to someone who knows how to repair soldered items. I have one too and I love it but it can be very hard to care for. I keep plastic over mine when not in use. Good luck.

I have a San Francisco Music Company Merry-Go-Round. The music works, but not all horses go up and down. I cannot remove the center post. I can get into the bottom, but how do I remove the tent top and get inside where the horses poles operate?

Answers

I would take this to a jewelry repair shop. They have the tiny tools needed to get into the mechanism.

If you have the right tools you can do it.
if not take it to a shop.