Repairing a Merry-Go-Round Music Box?

0
Share
Save
Follow
Print

I brought a Coney Island merry go round 4 years ago. The girls were too young to have it. Now at 5 years old, it's been packed away in the box, the carousel won't turn. The lights and music work, but the table won't turn. Is there anyone who can fix it? I payed $150. for it. It's a beautiful item.

By Lorraine from Washington, DC

Answers

Silver Feedback Medal for All Time! 282 Feedbacks
Best Answer

There is probably a speck of rust or dust interfering with the movement gears. The best thing to do with an item this costly is to take it to a jeweler for repairs, music boxes have such tiny parts that the specialised tiny jewelers tools (and repair skills) are what are needed to do the work.

If it were mine I wouldn't even try using a canned air spray to try to clean the insides because of the delicacy-too great a chance of dislodging a tiny vital piece, and possibly losing it altogether.

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 163 Posts
Best Answer

Check first to see if it has a stop somewhere. Then you may need to take it apart and see if all the solder is alright. I would recommend you take it to someone who knows how to repair soldered items.

I have one too and I love it but it can be very hard to care for. I keep plastic over mine when not in use. Good luck.

Answer this Question