Replacements for Glass Center of Coffee Table

I was given a solid wood coffee table, on Freecycle, today! Problem is, it is missing its center piece of glass; therefore, there's little "table" in the table. There's a frame and legs, though no innards. Would you brainstorm some creative ways to replace the missing glass? I'll call a glass shop, of course, though, what else might I use that is thrifty-fun, too? This missing piece is about 18 x 42 inches, and there's no center support, so it has to be something very sturdy.

By Vicki B.

Best Answer

Some boards glued together, like barn siding would give texture; a piece of plywood painted and decorated with pictures of friends and family; plywood covered in a mosaic; plywood covered with fabric; plywood covered in sheetmetal; a cut piece of marble, granite, corian, slate, or some leftover piece a shop would sell cheap; butcher block made from scraps of wood; make a top of cast concrete; a piece of beadboard.

You might consider using acrylic instead of glass, since it's almost unbreakable, yet still clear and looks like glass.

You might consider using wood picture frames. Arrange the frames in a collage and attach them to each other with wood glue. fill in any gaps with pieces of frames. Most frames have glass in them. You can decoupage and seal the ones that don't. or add cork.

or chalkboard. Paint or not. To install, make long slats and nail to the underside of the table frame - then just rest your masterpiece on the slats so you can change the pictures. If you want, you can sink the frame collage down to be flush, or let the frames stick up. have fun being creative!

I would be tempted to find or buy used a picture or poster. Glue to plywood or fibreboad then seal with Podge or acrylic clear coat. Make the backing thick enough and snug enough that u can use picture framing staples to insert it.

You can ask for items on freecycle. Ask for a piece of tempered glass.

I actually gave away 2 pieces a couple of weeks ago as my coffee table leg broke off and the glass was fine!

I would cut a piece of plywood to fit, and finish it with a faux-marble paint job or something else creative or even paint it a solid color to harmonize with your other furniture.

Thanks to all who responded! Now, I'm really feeling inspired to make this coffee table into a very expressive piece! vickib

Hi, we bought the glass but they made it
1/2 to 3/8 to small...
It's inset on a round wood coffee table.

Now it close but no cigar! Any ideas how to make it fit?
I thought of using a glue gun and adding to the rim, in hopes the glass would fit but don't like the glue around the glass!
Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks!

Home and Garden Repair Furniture TablesAugust 8, 2012
🍀
💘