General AdviceLegal

Reporting Neighbor's Unlicensed Cleaning Business

My neighbors are running a cleaning business without a license. They have cleaning products in the backyard shed without it being locked. We have kids playing outside and they can easily be accessed. Who can I contact to report this?

I would call the town hall and ask what department handles this.

There are several agencies that deal with this type of problem.

• You can call your local city and/or county main office and explain your concern and they should be able to direct you to the appropriate agency.
  • If possible, you should have the person's name and address when you call.
  • They may pay you a visit before they complete their on site inspection.
  • Here is a link to report also. This is for larger "spills" and things but they will answer you and tell you who to contact.
  • echo.epa.gov/report-environmental-violations

Before reporting this, why not ask your neighbor to lock up the chemicals?

Do you want to consult with your neighbors before reporting? After all, they are your neighbor and I am sure when the cops show up - they'll say a neighbor complaint?

You can contact your local police station and ask to be remain anonymous , then report the tip.

You say children could easily have access. What would your children be doing in a shed in a neighbors backyard? Before you worry about your neighbor's business license and shed, maybe you should be teaching your children to respect other people's property. I'm really not trying to be snarky here - but i'd be devastated if my children went unauthorized on someone else's property and got into something they shouldn't be in.

I am appalled at the attitude of some parents. Children were trespassing on my property. I asked the parent to not allow the children to do this. She adamantly replied 'THEY'RE CHILDREN'!, as if that made it OK for them to trespass.

This is not a police matter. City inspections could have jurisdiction here. All cities have a department that issues business licenses. The city looses revenue when licenses are not purchased and they don't take the matter lightly. Either Inspections or Business Licensing would be a good place to call.