Responsibilities of the Renter When Moving Out

If I have lived in my apartment for over 5 years and am giving my 30 notice. Wouldn't management have to replace the carpet and paint the apartment before renting it again? Do I need to clean the carpet?

Best Answer

It would be a good idea to review your original rental contract if you still have it but after 5 years that may not be possible and newer contracts may not be the same as 5 years ago. As a general rule of rentals, the empty house/apartment should be clean (that usually includes the stove, oven, refrigerator, and any other appliances). The floors should be clean (vacuum, clean tile) and all trash should be removed.
The apartment is supposed to be in the same condition as it was when you rented except for general wear and tear from normal use. There should not be any holes in walls or screens/windows/doors.

You should arrange for a walk-through meeting with the manager or owner after you finalize your clean up. This should consist of you and them making notes of any problems and how they will be resolved. There should be a signed agreement outlining what will need to be done before your deposit will be returned or your name cleared from the contract. This is really important even if you are good "friends" as things change so make sure you get this completed properly. I would also suggest taking photos of anything discussed. Keep copies of all correspondence (emails/texts etc).

If there are animals involved then you may have problems no matter how long you have lived there.

Anonymous

Replacing the carpet and painting will depend on the complex's standard preparation when a tenant moves out. I am assuming you paid a security deposit when you moved in. At the very least, you should vacuum the carpet well, fill any nail holes in the walls, and scrub the bathroom (s) and kitchen (including cleaning the stove and refrigerator).

In general, the apartment should be left in as clean a condition as possible. Often, getting your security deposit back will depend on the condition of the apartment when you leave.

You are not responsible for normal wear and tear. If you had holes punched in the walls and spilled something on the carpet or ripped it, you would be responsible for that.

Everywhere I've rented, when i moved out i swept, mopped, and vacuumed. Most of the time the carpet will be replaced and walls repainted when a renter moves out to make it ready for the next renter. Every apartment complex I've lived in has done that. I think an exception would be private homes for rent. They would certainly clean up but depending on how good of a landlord they are, they may or may not replace carpet and paint.

it depends what city and/or state you live in as to vagaries in the law, but after 5 years with no professional replacement or cleaning by the landlord it's not your responsibility. you should have asked them to clean it at the 2yr mark, since they didn't have to relet