AdviceCars

Restoring Faded Red Car Paint

If I use T-Cut on my red car, will it bring the faded colour back to life?

By Damion S.

I am not familiar with T-cut, however, there are plentyof products available at your local auto parts store that will work with a electric buffer to remove the oxidized paint to restore the finish. 3M is one product that comes to mind. You could also visit a body shop or a auto detailer for suggestions as to what they use.

When I worked for PepBoys there was a wax that was pretty good at restoring color. You actually had to purchase the wax in the shade closest to you car (there were that many). Unfortunately I can't think of the name of the product but if you stop by a PepBoys, High Gear, Advanced Auto or Auto Zone I am sure they can make some suggestions.

If the color is still there and the clear coat is causing the discoloration there is a wax for that too.

As mentioned before there are products that remove the oxidation of the paint (rubbing compound). The older the car and oxidation the heavier one you can use but ask for advice about the strength of compound. You don't necessarily need a buffer if you don't have one and it takes a bit of elbow grease, but the results can be amazing. Then wash (to make certain the compound is off and wax it with a good wax. Don't make the mistake I made one time when I spent HOURS doing my car only to ruin the wax job the next time by using an innocent looking hose-end "power washer" and removing the wax job.