Riding Mower Won't Run With the Choke Off

I have a 16hp Sears riding mower. I got the engine to work fine, but it only runs with the choke on, once the choke is off the engine dies. I tried to drive the mower from its level sitting position, but as soon as I got off the level the engine died.

I looked and the carb was leaking gas from a little hole going up the air filter. I started it again with the choke on and ran it, then I turned the choke off and the leaking started again. I have not messed with the carb any more than cleaning it. What do I do? I am not good with fixing carbs.

By fireman21 from Napa, CA

Answers:

First, there are safety devices on mowers that run only when someone is sitting in the seat. They can be disconnected. Usually the connection is under the seat. As for the choke, it sounds to me that something is hooked up backwards. When the choke is on there is a limited amount of air going into the engine so the engine will run rougher and maybe smoke coming out of the exhaust. So I think when it indicates the choke is on I think it is off and when the choke indicates it is off I think it is on. (07/23/2009)

By foxrun41

Remove carb from engine. Completely take apart carb; use carb cleaner. Spray and clean each part, all ports and holes. Check float for holes (to check the float for holes, submerge the float under water and watch for air bubbles). If no bubbles, reassemble and put back on motor. (07/27/2009)

By RAE1