Roaches Coming in Through an Air Conditioner

Category Bugs
Central air conditioning ducting can be an easy conduit for pests to enter and infest your home. This is a guide about roaches coming in through an air conditioner.

Here in Florida we have Palmetto bugs -- giant roaches. Does anyone know if bugs can get in through central air conditioners? Everything else seems to be sealed off, including roof vents.

Thanks,
Linda

Answers

Best Answer

We use Boric Acid for this type of roach. We live in Eastern Georgia where we get of these. Be sure to put it around the unit and not where the air flows. Make sure the air is off so it won't blow in your eyes or face. We also put it around the doors as these roaches can come in very small places and they can fly. Trimming bushes around your house will cut down on the roaches also.

Best Answer

I am in Hollywood Florida so I know of the Palmetto Bugs. Yes, these bugs can in fact get into your central AC system and air flow system. The central AC unit has a drain pipe for the water that your air conditioner creates. This pipe leads outside of your residence and is discharged. Roaches can gain access into your system through this pipe.

I have just discovered this problem with the colder weather this February. I believe that the bugs were seeking shelter from the cold weather and found this in the open pipe. Then being the explorers that they are followed this pipe into my house. I am putting a screen over this opening at the outside end of the pipe.

I am not sure how to proceed with removing the roaches that are now in my system. I am concerned about just using poison to kill the roaches. I do not want poison blowing on me when the ac unit is operating.

I live in Louisiana and we also have the same bugs. They seem to be able to slip in with absolutely minimal space available, so I'm sure they can get in through an AC unit. Spray heavily around your unit (not into it). Be sure it is not about to rain. I would also spray inside and outside of all windows and doors. I've seen them slip under a door. They are hard to erradicate, so good luck.

Yes or they could be coming up through shower/sink drains, around where your water lines come into the house, underneath a closed door, etc. We deal with them here in New Mexico also, mainly during Spring and Summer when we start watering our lawn outdoors more regularly. Their appearance is not a sign of unclean conditions like their smaller cousin (food roach), but an attraction to moist or humid conditions.