Roasting and Slicing Lunch Meats

Avoid added sodium and other unwanted ingredients by being your own deli. This guide has information about roasting and slicing lunch meats.

We've already been brown-bagging lunches for a long time, but with food prices having shot up to their present level, even doing that is a budget- juggling act some weeks.

One day, I took a good hard look at where else I could possibly cut back as far as the grocery bill was concerned; my husband takes a salad and a sandwich daily, and I figured that the packaged cold cuts I was using averaged out to about $8.00 a pound! Even using store brand, fresh deli-cut or taking advantage of sales on different name brands didn't make a significant difference.

I've cut the cost by more than half by buying roasts, turkey breasts, whole chickens and turkeys and ham as they rotate on sale and roasting them solely for lunch meats. We picked up a small meat slicer at a yard sale for ten bucks and the DH is in charge of shaving it thin. It can be frozen and defrosted in weekly batches.

A little extra work, but the lunch roasts can be thrown in the oven along with anything else that might be cooking for a dinner, so we're saving a little energy, too!

By Candy Killion from Hollywood, FL

I've been doing this as well. I have a small rotisserie that I use. I'm looking for a meat slicer the way you found yours, or even an electric knife.

We used a smoker before. We smoke pork roast and slice it as a sandwich meat. I slice it before use. Works great!

I do this with turkey and don't use an electric slicer. Get a long straight knife and make sure it's sharp (they may even be caller meat slicers). I like this better than an electric knife...I have more control.

I do the same thing, cook meats, but instead of freezing it in bigger packs. I freeze it in a small sandwich bags for one sandwich.

That way all I do is put the bread and fixings in the sandwich box with the package of frozen meat. The sandwich is made later, and stays cold longer.