Roof Leaks Around Sky Lights

I have sky lights over my master tub and 2 in another room. All 3 leak. Can I use the wet/dry black tar on top of shingles? The water falls are now damaging floors and walls.

By Beth M. from Seale, AL

The roof installer should be responsible. I had the same problem. I understand there was a bad install with something about the gasket. My roofer finally quit answering my calls His last fix which partially worked was to put contact paper strips over the edges of the skylight. I would just ask a roofer who absolutely knows skylights to fix it or what to use.

This sounds like something that a professional should deal with. In the meantime, there is a product advertized on the TV that might fix it temporarily.

It is called Flex Seal. You can google that name, and find the site, so you can buy a can online. It costs about $20 for 2 cans. This product might fix the leak until you can get someone to do a proper job.

We also have 3 skylights that leaked. My husband fixed them very cheaply. What kind of a roof do you have...tile, shingle, flat tar? That is what decides what you should use.

Home and Garden Repair Home RoofNovember 30, 2012
💘
🍀