Repairing Leaky Skylights

Category Windows
A leaky skylight.
It is wonderful to have daylight through the ceiling unless there are problems with the roof seal or flashing. This guide is about repairing leaky skylights.

I have sky lights over my master tub and 2 in another room. All 3 leak. Can I use the wet/dry black tar on top of shingles? The water falls are now damaging floors and walls.

By Beth M. from Seale, AL

The roof installer should be responsible. I had the same problem. I understand there was a bad install with something about the gasket. My roofer finally quit answering my calls His last fix which partially worked was to put contact paper strips over the edges of the skylight. I would just ask a roofer who absolutely knows skylights to fix it or what to use.

This sounds like something that a professional should deal with. In the meantime, there is a product advertized on the TV that might fix it temporarily. It is called Flex Seal. You can google that name, and find the site, so you can buy a can online. It costs about $20 for 2 cans. This product might fix the leak until you can get someone to do a proper job.

We also have 3 skylights that leaked. My husband fixed them very cheaply. What kind of a roof do you have...tile, shingle, flat tar? That is what decides what you should use.

It seems as if my sky light is leaking occasionally. It only does it at certain times when it rains in different direction. I had it worked on one time, this resulted in messing up slanted ceiling, now other side doing it. It doesn't leak a whole lot, but still leaks. Do I need a new one? It is about 13 years old. Help.

Thanks.

By Joan from Girard, PA

It probably just needs a bead of caulk around it. Maybe even under the flanging. I see no need to replace it unless it is cracked or broken

We had the same issue with a couple of our skylights, ends up that the flashing needed to be resealed underneath the shingles. Resealing the lights might not be a bad idea either since you'll be on the roof anyway.