Root Canal Advice

Having a root canal has become the topic of many jokes and humorous skits, emphasizing intense pain. But with the joking aside this somewhat routine dental procedure need not strike fear into the hearts of men and women. This is a guide about root canal advice.

My doctor told me there is no way I can prevent the bacteria from attacking my poor tooth, and I will have to do a root canal with crown. I did the filling, but worry my tooth will ache further. Is there any way to prevent doing root canal and crowning or extracting the tooth? Many thanks.

By SSSdy

Answers

Why don't you want to have the root canal and crown? Eventually the time will come that it will have to be done or have the tooth extracted because it will keep deteriorating. I would have it done as soon as possible just because I hate tooth aches. They are about the worst pain of any that I can imagine.

It would be best to have the root canal/crown done. You don't want to have your tooth pulled as once a tooth is gone, it is gone, so to speak. Hold on to your teeth. I have had several root canals done and can honestly say that I did not experience any pain.

I think that in the past a root canal was a pretty harrowing experience. Talk with your dentist, tell him your fear. He can prescribe pain medication (and novacaine) for you to help with any pain you might experience.

The nerve in the tooth is dying and that is why you need the root canal. If you don't have it done, eventuallly the tooth will split and you will lose in entirely. There is no tooth ache after the work has healed. I have two and they lasted for years and never caused any pain. It is the better option.

I have had a root canal done with a gold crown. It was expensive, but the tooth is great. There is no pain involved with this procedure.

However, I have also had a tooth extracted instead. It was the very back molar. My dentist said that tooth was too far gone for a root canal, and that I had plenty of great teeth so extraction was his recommendation.

My advice is to get the root canal done when your dentist recommends it, as you may end up with extraction being the only sensible option. Get moving on this before the tooth decays further and you have toothache pain.

I have crowns, a root canal and two implants. Painful? no. Expensive? yes. You don't say if the tooth is an upper or lower. If it is a lower and you have it extracted two things happen. One the upper tooth above the gap will grow down in to the void. The second thing is you will in danger of losing the tooth in front and to the rear of the gap over time as the gum shrinks because there is no tooth. It is very important that you take good care of your teeth. Have the root canal and crown.

If it is a tooth not seen, I'd have it pulled. The dentist is there to make lots of money on root canals and crowns. They are way over charging for these services!

I would never have a root canal done! They are a waste of money. I know several people who have had them done and within two years it was back to the beginning. These people did not have the same dentist.

I just had a crown done and was talking to my dentist about crowns and root canals. He recommends crowns more than root canal the root canal has a better chance of messing up and you end up having to pull the tooth anyway. So my opinion is to pull the tooth and don't go through the pain and expense!

The purpose of a root canal is to save the tooth and avoid an extraction.

Several yeas ago I had a root canal and the dentist said a piece of the wire from the device used broke off down in the root. The dentist said it could not be removed. I've since asked a different dentist and he said it's common for it to happen. Has this happend to you and have you had any discomfort from it?

By weinerdog41 from Ft. Worth, TX