To Top

SS Disability Eligibility for Children of Recipient

A month before my kids' father got approved for SS disability he requested a DNA for both kids. Will they hold my kids' money until the test comes back or will he have to pay from the time his check got started? I also have fill custody of both kids.


We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

June 7, 20170 found this helpful

There are too many unanswered questions for me to even make a guess. You will have to pay a visit to your local Social Security office to get an answer as they will know all the details. You should take all information concerning your claim just in case they need to review it. You will probably need Social Security numbers for yourself, your children, your husband, divorce papers showing you as having full custody, and any correspondence you have received from the Social Security office. Most of this you may have already filed but it would still be a good idea to have them available.


It is possible SS will hold the funds until the DNA results are returned but there are other factors that SS may take into consideration; such as who is listed on the children's birth certificate and what the divorce papers show, especially about support payments. But, if there is doubt, then you may have to wait.

Why are the results of the tests taking such a long time? Maybe that is a question for SS also.

Be sure you find out what your responsibilities are (record keeping of money spent for children's care) while you are asking questions as you should start off handing these benefits correctly so there will not be problems in the future.

Many people have the mistaken idea that benefits for children can be spent in any manner and who will know or care? That is an incorrect assumption so be sure to ask about this.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

June 8, 20170 found this helpful

I'm not sure of the answer, either. Call Social Security. If they pay and he turns out not to be the father, you will have to pay the money back, and it can be garnished from your wages.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
July 15, 20170 found this helpful

If he has taken the role of the father, they may still be able to get ss despite the DNA results. A friend of mine had a child before she was married and later married a different man. 10 years later, they divorced. He had to pay child support and the daughter got part of his ss, even though she was not his biological child and he never formally adopted her. It all depends on how the judge and ss rules.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Related Content
In This Guide
Social Security Disability Form
Receiving Social Security Disability Benefits
Business and Legal Legal General AdviceJune 6, 2017
Garnishing Disability for Child Support
Garnishing Disability for Child Support
A person in a wheelchair gardening.
Gardening With a Disability
A disabled student studying in a wheelchair.
Child Support for a Child Receiving Disability
In a wheelchair doing laundry.
Organizing Your Home When You Have a Disability
Birthday Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Published by .

Generated 2017/09/10 18:25:21 in 891 msecs. ⛅️️
Loading Something Awesome!