SSDI Dependent Benefits and Child Support

I am in Oklahoma. I recently got approved for SSDI. I was informed my kids qualify for dependent benefits. Do I have to file for all my kids or can I just file for my youngest? Also if my ex gets dependent benefits for our kids that my ex has custody of do I still pay child support? Or are the dependent benefits counted as my child support?

These are definitely questions you need to ask at SSA office as there are a lot of variables in your posting.

• I can say this: your children may qualify for benefits but it should only be any child that resides with you and that you are the guardian.
  • You should file for benefits for any child living in your house (not sure if there is a certain number of months out of each year but the SSA can tell you that).
  • Your ex (as guardian) can claim benefits for any of yours and his children in his care.
  • Child support you pay may or may not be affected by the benefits he receives but I believe you may have to have an attorney sort this out.
  • You need to ask SSA about all of this.

You need to go to Social Security with all the documentation. They will go over your case.

Sorry to hear you are having so many challenges. Will send up lots of prayers for you and your family!

Talk to the Social Security Administration and ask for help. Their contact info is here:

www.ssa.gov/.../

If they are not helpful or you need more help cutting through the red tape or figuring out what they are telling you, talk to your state senator. Go in person! If yours is like mine, they are amazing!

I found ours by putting in Google search my town name and the phrase state senator. His name came right up. Their services are free paid for by our tax dollars, so may this can help you!!

Good luck!