SSI/Child Support

My son has autism. He receives SSI. I am in the process of getting a divorce. My soon to be ex wants child support for him. If she receives child support will it effect his SSI?

By bbcookie45

Best Answer

The amount of SSI a person, whether that person is an adult or a child depends on what other income there is in the house. Anyway that is the way it used to be. If it is still that way the child support will affect the amount of SSI your son receives. You should talk to your local Social Security Office.

Anonymous

RLQCJ9 Thank you for helping out, fantastic information. Considering how dangerous everything is, nothing is really very frightening. by Gertrude Stein.

Best Answer

My daughter gets SSI. Her dad just started paying child support. It did reduce her check, but you can call Social Security and they can tell you the formula they use because some of the child support income will get disregarded.

H- why don't you ask your attorney? These are the kind of questions that should be answered before you see the judge.

Your income may change over the years and you need to know what happens if that occurs. Like who do you notify?

I had three different lawyers during my divorce.. not one of them knew how child support and soc security affected the other..

I recently received disability for my child from his daddy SsD can my child receive child support payment too?

Anonymous

Yes it will, any amount the child receives as support will be deducted from the SSI amount allowed.

My son is 19 has Aspergers disorder, he hardly leaves the house . He just recently got close to 540.00 a month, which is gods great will.

Does his dad have to pay any other money towards helping me with clothes, food, future events, dr, visits?