Sand Wood With Cardboard

My daughter put two coats of finish on her dining room table. The table was in bad shape, having worn off most of the varnish. She sanded with a hand sander and then applied two coats of the finish that is a varnish and stain all in one. She got the stain to match her table legs. Then, between coats, I told her to sand with cardboard, since we had no steel wool in the house.

Between coats, it is desirable to just use a little bit of abrasion to knock down any highs to make it satin smooth. It worked perfectly! No annoying steel wools "pieces" left stuck in the finish either!

By Elaine S. from Belle Plaine, IA

I have also used, parts of a brown paper bag, to sand with!

It's really weird how well it works. Being new to varnish (I love a wax coating) I wasnt quite sure of sanding inbetween coats. The water based varnish I used had raised the grain on a baby butt smooth sanded bare surface.

I didnt want to lose the coat I had put on, the cardboard smooths it out nice enough to continue building on more layers to that final surface.