Saving Money on Elastic for Clothing

Category Sewing
Many clothing items that you make or repair have elastic waistbands, etc. This is a guide about saving money on elastic for clothing.

I save the elastic top of underwear when the kids grow out of them. They are huge rubber bands. The are fun to shoot at the wall, onto a target I put up there just for that purpose. I have another one I am using to hold shut the bag of birdseed on which the zip top broke. I will probably find many other uses for them.

Note: Don't cut through the elastic, but underneath it, so it will stay in a circle. For the most part this has been working out very well.

I make little quilts out of all the kids' throwaway clothes, or else give them to those in need. Sometimes I will use them scrapbook style in memory books. I am going to try covering those mini notebooks that are palm sized in fabric and putting a design from the scrapbook section on the cover.

I have seen this done, but I have not tried it yet. I will use squares I cut out of the underwear fabric to make the little angel with tulle wings. I traded my friend for a glue gun and I am looking for ways to use it.

I am covering a sports bra I made out of underwear, men's or mine, with the kids outgrown underwear fabric. Somehow the theme for crafts this week at my home has been underwear. I only use the parts of the underwear that cover the belly, just to be safe! The bras are not really as gross as they sound, since the "offending part" is cut out.

By Robyn Fed from Hampton, TN

Next time you need elastic for that sewing project but don't have any on hand, just grab the old panty hose or knee highs and cut the band off the top. Makes great elastic! And it's free!

By DebB P

Before you toss that saggy underwear, cut off the elastic (which is often in fair shape) and you have it to re-use. This is also true for bras and other lingerie which has elastic. There are so many ways elastic can be used for clothing - to gather sleeves or adjust a waistline or renew the elastic waist of a pair of pants or a skirt - so I like to have various types on hand!

By pam munro from Los Angeles, CA

You know the clear stretchy elastic that is used sometimes for securing blouses on your hangers? Well, I cut them off cause they bug me, and I re-use them in my sewing!

This type of elastic is sometimes hard to find and can be expensive.