Saving Money on Elastic for Clothing

Category Sewing
Many clothing items that you make or repair have elastic waistbands, etc. This is a guide about saving money on elastic for clothing.

Next time you need elastic for that sewing project but don't have any on hand, just grab the old panty hose or knee highs and cut the band off the top. Makes great elastic! And it's free!

By DebB P

Before you toss that saggy underwear, cut off the elastic (which is often in fair shape) and you have it to re-use. This is also true for bras and other lingerie which has elastic. There are so many ways elastic can be used for clothing - to gather sleeves or adjust a waistline or renew the elastic waist of a pair of pants or a skirt - so I like to have various types on hand!

By Pam from Los Angeles, CA

You know the clear stretchy elastic that is used sometimes for securing blouses on your hangers? Well, I cut them off cause they bug me, and I re-use them in my sewing! This type of elastic is sometimes hard to find and can be expensive. There are a lot of instances where you only need a small amount of the clear elastic (for example: on a neckline) and this is just enough! Voila!

Source: my own idea!

By Frances from Bland, MO