Saving Money on Socks

Blue striped socks.
As the cost of clothing continues to rise, the thrifty shopper is always looking for ways to save money. This is a guide about saving money on socks.

Tips for Saving Money on Socks as suggested by the ThriftyFun community.

Buy One Type Of Sock

Buy one type of sock only. All the same color and brand and style. Enough for 2-3 weeks worth. If one goes missing or one wears out faster than the other it can be matched up later to the same type of sock. Also, this makes it easier on laundry day for matching.

Buy them when they go on sale which is often. Especially late summer for the back to school sales and also at Christmas time.

I have had better luck with a brand name brand of socks than with 'no-names' as far as quality and long life of socks and they will stand behind their product. Contact them if you are disappointed in how the socks are holding up.

If you are the type of person who wears just socks on their feet around the house put on some slippers or shoes. It is safer (no slipping, etc.) and your socks will wear out less. I read that walking on carpet especially in stocking feet will wear out socks faster than anything.

I wash them in a mesh laundry bag just to make it easier on laundry day.

Rotate them. If you wear and wash only a few pair of your stash then put those on the bottom or back of your sock drawer so all sock get used equally.

I did all the above with some black cotton socks I bought (about 3 weeks worth I think) and they are over 10 years old. While they are more charcoal black now than black-black they still have no holes.

By Kaelle

Check Out Flea Markets

A lot of people think flea markets just have individuals selling their own items, but actually 1/2 of a flea market are continuous sellers with bulk items that are new from close outs. They sell lots of socks in bulk for low prices.

By Theseamstress

Buy Holiday Socks

If you like socks with personality, always check for clearance in the post-holiday stock. I remember seeing pairs of St Patty's Day socks for 50 cents at TJ Maxx last March.

By Imladris

Use Orphan Sock as a Dust Mitt

I like to use the orphan sock as a dust mitt! Just slip it on and it's great for getting the top of ceiling fans, door frames and in nooks and crannies!

By Joynchocolate

Look For Returns for Deals

Often times, opened packages are not re-couped, single pairs are sold individually much cheaper than a multi-pack. Look for these inside inner aisles or even hanging on "clip strips", little hooks hanging off an endcap or the ends of the aisles.

By Patty

Safety Pin Your Socks Together

My sister told me of a way to save on socks since I seemed to have so many singles. I always kept them thinking I would find the other one and have a pair again, but I know that darn washing machine really did eat them! Anyway, she said to safety pin them together at the toes when you take them off. It seemed very inconvenient at first, but once it becomes a habit you'll love the results. Not only is it easier to fold that basket of dry socks, but you always have a pair.

I told my hubby he had a choice of pinning his socks or mating them out of the basket. There may be 4 socks on one of his pins, but at least they are still together. Keep a little dish of safety pins in the bathroom and on each night table. You won't have to replace those singles again.

By Sandy

Buy Rummage Sale Socks

My mom (the Thrift Empress, it seems) used to buy socks for 5 cents at rummage sales or thrift shops. She always soaked them in disinfectant and ran them through the laundry before wearing them. None of the 5 cent socks ever had holes in them and always lasted a long long time!

To make them last longer, the wearer should cut their toenails! Sheets also suffer a lot from too long of nails!

By Melody_yesterday

Swap Out Bad Socks For Good

When I buy socks for my husband, I buy at least 6 of the largest packages that I can find. I open one or two packages and put the rest in the closet. When one wears out (and after it's been mended several times), I save the good sock and match it with another sock. When several wear out, I introduce several new pairs into his stash. They last years this way and he always has matching pairs.

By Susanmajp

Do you have any more ideas to share? Feel free to post them below.

Always buy the same brand of socks. Then when finding a sock with a hole in it, do not throw away the pair. Instead save the sock without the hole and when a hole is discovered later in another pair, use the two remaining socks to make another pair.

By Noella from Bolivar, MO