Saving Money on Vocational Training

This tip is for adults, who may wish you had additional training or schooling, but can not afford it. Consider volunteering for an organization that works along the lines of what you would like training in. Many volunteer organizations will send their volunteers to school and they will pay for the schooling if it is of benefit to them. I volunteer for the fire department.

They paid for me to take the classes to become a CPR/first aid instructor. Now, I teach new volunteers CPR and basic first aid. I can also teach it outside of my community and make some money from it. I saved the $200 I would have spent on the class and books, and I can use the fire department materials (dummies and masks).

They paid for me to go to EMT school. I do that as a volunteer with the fire department, but, I am also on the list for several other services as a paid EMT. I work for one service one day a month, and the others call me when someone calls in sick or during flu season. I saved $1400 in tuition money.

Several others took a heaving truck driving class (to be able to drive the pumper), and as a result one is now a truck driver for local runs. A 55 year old widowed friend of mine has volunteered for 2 years at the senior center. They just sent her through college classes for her to become a registered dietitian.

She will continue to volunteer for them 2 times a week and plan their menus, but she also now works 3 days a week for the school district earning money from training that she could not afford to take on her own. So, get creative and check out those places where you could volunteer!

By mom-from-missouri from NW MO

Read More or Comment...

What a fantastic idea! You are helping to make a difference where you live, and getting an education, not to mention a wonderful way to "find" out if some of these fields interest you.

I'm looking to save some money on haircuts and highlighting. It's now $42 for a haircut and in excess of $115 with highlights and lowlights. Please don't suggest going to Cost Cutters or other cheapie places as you truly get what you pay for. Does anyone actually use the cosmetology schools on a regular basis? I know they're supposed to be supervised but I'm still nervous to try them. You probably get a different person each time and it probably takes 3 times as long to get done (I've heard.) Any suggestions welcome.

Pam from IL

Answers

By (Guest Post)

If you want highlights or lowlights, you probably should go to a professional. I have heard horror stories on women who had color done at the schools with horrid results.

Right now I have orange hair, from trying to color it myself, Yep, I will be paying probably 100-200 to correct my $10 color job.

I went to Beauty College many many years ago (I didn't finish because I was allergic to solutions on my hands). You are, after all, allowing students to learn on your hair. Yes, indeed, students are supervised but they are still students. Where I went, people could ask for a particular student, so you don't necessarily have a different student every time.

Another thing that customers often did was to ask for a "senior" or a student that is in the last stages of learning. That may or may not work.but you can certainly give it a try. Good luck to you :)

By JennyJo (Guest Post)

If you are wanting to color your hair - go to a professional. I tried to color my hair blonde, now it is orange, a $10 home color job, will now cost me $100-200 to correct.

I have heard horror stories of women going to the schools. I just talked with a woman last night, she went to a school, for color, and her hair was orange, green, black and purple.

I hjave gone to the Vidal Sassoon Academy for years (for cuts, not color). If you are going to go to a beauty school, find the highest-end one you can.

It would be worth it to do some research & find out how well the students are supervised, etc. The students at Vidal Sasson are often the equivalent of "grad" students & already work at salons.

Viewing This Page
Better Living Self ImprovementSeptember 6, 2012
😷
😎
📓
🐛
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Saving-Money-on-Vocational-Training.html