SeedsGardening

Saving Seeds for Next Planting Season

Category Seeds

A friend just gave me a bag full of cock's comb seeds. I live in Tennessee and it's already cold here. I found out that the time to sow cock's comb seeds is in early summer. Will my seeds keep that long?

By Kellie J from Loretto, TN

I cannot guarantee this method, (I'd talk to my friend again,) but I have found that if I keep seeds in the refrigerator, most of them last over the winter in some type of dormant stage, and do well sprouting in the Spring.

Seeds were found in the Great Pyramids of Egypt that were still viable! Yours will certainly last over winter.

Those seeds will keep in a paper napkin in a jar. Or refrigerator in a plastic bag with a paper towel inside the bag.

I keep my seeds in the lowest part of refrigerator like this and have some that have gone as much as 2 years. Happy planting.