Saving Tomato Seeds

You will save money by saving seeds from tomatoes you grew this year, rather than buying plants already started next spring. It is easy to do.

1. Select a good tomato. Cut it in half, and scrape out the seeds and pulp and put on a paper plate.
  2. Spread out the seeds and pulp evenly.
  3. Let dry.
  4. When dry, scrape off the seeds. Some dried pulp may come with it. That is OK. I found it was easiest to scrape with my fingernail.
  5. Put the scrapings on a paper napkin.
  6. Place the seeds in a resealable sandwich bag. Label and store in a cool place until you need them next year. I store mine in the refrigerator.

You might get a lot of comments that the tomatoes from these seeds wont be as good as the originals. I say 'Sometimes yes, sometimes no. You wont know til you grow and taste them.

The absolute best tomatoes I ever grew were from seed saved from a grocery store tomato.

I encourage everybody to try this! Tomatoes are healthy, versatile, fun, tasty. Do some cherry tomatoes, too.