Can I Plant Wisteria Pods?

Category Seeds

Question:

Can I plant wisteria pods or should it just be the seeds?

Answer:

Pat from Justin, TX

1. You can just plant the seeds. Nick the seeds just slightly and soak them overnight before planting them.
  2. Wisteria like full sun (at least 6 hours a day) and nutrient-rich well-drained soil that is slightly acidic (pH 6.0-7.0).

3. Sow seeds indoors 6-8 weeks before expected transplant date or directly into the ground after danger of frost has passed.
  4. Seeds should be planted approximately 1/2 inch deep and because seedlings grow quickly, they should be provided with climbing supports pretty early on. Seeds may take as long as 30 to 60 days to germinate.
  5. Wisteria remains in a juvenile state for a long time before reaching maturity. Be prepared to wait as long as 10-15 years or longer before you see any flowers.

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services.

Read More or Comment...

I've just picked a few light green seed pods from a wisteria tree. Can I plant the seeds? Will I need to dry them first? And when is the best time to plant them?

Hardiness Zone: 5b

By Felix from Garden City, MI

Answers

Best Answer

Put the pod in a small paper bag and wait for it to dry out. It will pop open and then you can plant the seeds that are in it. I did this a couple of years ago and I have a Wisteria about 3 feet high now!

Best Answer

First off, Wisteria pods/seeds are poisonous, so keep away from kids and pets.
Yes, you can grow the plants from seed but it may take 15 years before they bloom.

Question:

What is the purpose of those very heavy seedpods that eventually dry up and fall off of a wisteria plant? I know that I don't want another wisteria plant, but want to take some of the weight off of the trellis, unless someone knows another reason why mother nature grows those wisteria seed pods!

Answer:

Those long, velvety seeds pods are Mother Nature's way of propagating your wisteria, although propagation from stem cuttings is likely to be a more reliable way to successfully start a new plant. Unless you're a giraffe or a monkey, the seeds are poisonous and should be kept away from children and pets. There really isn't any good reason to not lighten the pod load on your trellis. In fact, removing overblown seedpods and spent flowers will encourage more blooms for next season. The pods can also be used for crafts, to add interest to season ornaments or garlands.

Answers

for you to share the seeds with everybody

That is what i do is share all of my seed to everyone that wants them.

My Uncle gave me a green wisteria seed pod and I want to grow some plants from it. What do I need to do to get the seeds to grow?

By sarahw1983 from Lakebay

Answers:

Can I plant Wisteria pods?

I haven't tried planting wisteria, but my dad used to grow one. I do know that if the pod is green, it was picked too early, as they are brown when they're done. I would probably take the seeds out of the pods. To get garden seeds to sprout, you have to mimic spring, wet and often in good soil. (07/24/2009)

By Davidicdancer