Scrap Quilt Ideas

Category Ideas
Quilting has traditionally been a craft where you could use up scrap fabrics. This is a guide about scrap quilt ideas.

With one base quilt you can change the top layers and have two quilts for one. What a concept! Make one for each holiday and give as gifts.

Approximate Time: 2 hours

Instructions:

1. Trace your patterns onto the fusible web, match the pieces to your chosen scraps of fabric, press to the back of the fabric and cut out on the lines.
  2. From your cotton batting cut the following:
    one piece - 7 inches x 10 inches
    two pieces - 6 inches x 6 1/2 inches
    two pieces - 2 inches x 6 inches
  3. I like to tear all of my fabrics for a softer look. This option is up to you.
  4. For the tabbed bottom layer cut the following:
    one piece - 7 inches x 10 inches from your neutral fabric
    two - 1 inch x 5 inch strips for the tabs
  5. Ad

6. For each of your top layer background fabrics cut one of each of the following:
    6 inches x 6 1/2 inches
    2 inches x 6 inches
  7. You are now ready to assemble your lil' quilt. Start with the base layer by folding your tabs in half and slipping them in-between the batting and the neutral fabric.
  8. Pin in place and pin all around the two layers, using the floss do a running stitch to secure the two layers.
  9. Iron on your fused pieces to the top layer then assemble these units the same way doing the running stitch; as you come to the corners sew in a button.
  10. Do your saying words in your permanent marker before doing the stitching then assemble in the same way. Use your iron to heat set the ink. You might want to test your marker on a scrap before using it on your quilt.
  11. Ad

12. Attach your Velcro dots to the top front of the base unit and each of the backs of the top layers at the top corners only. Attach another set at the top of the saying unit to see the placement of the other half on the base unit.
  13. You can make as many top units as you want for all of the seasons and utilize the base for all of them by keeping the base neutral.

Have fun and keep stitchin'.

By Ann from Loup City, NE

I had a lot of novelty print scraps of fabric. I started cutting my scraps into 1 1/2 inch strips for rag rugs. Then I thought, "What better use can I get of these cute motifs?", a quilt of course. Then I sewed squares together using a piece with a picture on for the center and built around it to get it the size I wanted to use in the quilt. I decided 9 inch squares would work. Some pieces were already cut into 1 1/2 strips strips so I used them too. I had cows, ants, hearts, tractors, lady buds, flowers, trains, teddy bears, bunnies, doggies, sheep, western, apples, and frogs; anything a youngster would love to look at and talk about. I decided it would be my granny quilt for a child to use as a learning tool. However, it got a little big and turned out to be a full size quilt. I guess I was having too much fun.

By D.Lockwood from Millbury

I have been looking for patterns for scrap quilts.

Pat

Answers

Anonymous

There are lots and lots of quilt patterns here:
http://www.quil  locksGalore.html