AdviceGeneral Parenting

Setting Bedtime for Children

What time should I be putting my kids to bed? I put my youngest 4 (2-6) to bed a 7:30 on school days and 7:50 on weekends and my oldest 6 (8-16) go to bed at 8:30 on school days and 9 on weekends. Is this an OK bedtime or is it too late or early?

By mc4lifes from Sydney, NSW

As the parent I would think you would determine what is the appropriate bedtime for your children.

It is completely up to you to decide. I know parents that let their kids stay up as late as they want from the time they are toddlers until they are adults. However, I had my kids in bed by 8PM every night, unless we had company that had kids or were visiting somebody that had kids, until they were close to 10 years of age. That was my free time to unwind and have some quiet time. They also took naps in the afternoon, even after they were in school, they would come home, have a snack and lay on the floor and sleep for a little while. This was of their own doing.