Sewing Machine Constantly Runs When Turned On

There must be a short somewhere if your machine is not being controlled by the foot pedal. Time to consult a professional. This is a guide about sewing machine constantly runs when plugged in.

I have an old, just new to me, White, model K209, sewing machine. I have plugged it in and it just constantly runs fast. The peddle is not pushed in, just wondering if I am missing something obvious? The needle is going up and down. I just don't want to burn the motor out while trying to figure this out. Thanks for any help.

By S.D.

Answers

Best Answer

You have a short in there somewhere - could be in the foot pedal or inside the machine near where the foot pedal connects to the machine.

This isn't a home fix - you need a qualified repair tech to do this to prevent accidental electrocution. Please, take the machine to the shop, and do not run the machine until it's been completely checked out and repaired.

Best Answer

Many of the old sewing machines had a two part wiring system. The cord that plugs into the wall leads to a powerblock that has 2 outlets, then the outgoing cord goes to the foot pedal that controls the amount of electricity that goes to the machine. This may be transparent to the user, because in the case of the knee controller, it's underneath a cover where it can't be seen.

The machine motor plugs into the outlet connected to the foot pedal wires and the other outlet is direct current for the light. If the machine is wired directly to the wall, there won't be any speed control. It will run full throttle. So if you have a controller block and plug the motor into the light outlet instead of the motor outlet, you will only get one speed without control. Then if you plugged the light into the motor outlet, the light would be controlled by the pedal.

You can't run a motor directly from the wall outlet. There has to be some sort of controller between the motor and the wall. Either a foot pedal, knee control, or even something like you use on a model train.

The first answer was correct. If you can't clearly see what the issue is, you should take it immediately to the nearest sewing machine repair shop. You can get a severe shock and or burns by plugging it into direct current. They will know what to do at the repair shop. The old machines are all wired very similarly. If the gear is there and you're just doing it wrong, they can set you straight very quickly and for little to no cost. Good luck and I hope this helps clear it up a little.

My sewing machine was running fine and then the needle jammed and when I tried to sew, the machine just started going very fast by itself. I can only stop it if I switch it off at the mains. I've undone the foot pedal and looked at it and it all looks OK. The wires are secure and the switch for the pressure of the pedal seems OK. Any answers, please?

By Barbara Keeling

Answers

Best Answer

The ONLY answer is that you must splash out the cash to have your machine repaired by a qualified repair tech.

There is an electrical connection inside your machine that has been compromised - disconnect it from the mains and keep it disconnected! Pack it carefully and get it to a repair tech.

Most sewing centres have factory trained techs who can safely effect the repairs. Or you can do an online search using the search term '(sewing machine maker name here) service and repair (your area name here)'. For example: Pfaff sewing machine service repair Devon

DO NOT try to fix this yourself as you are risking a very serious electrical shock even though the machine is unplugged - electrostatic build-up is happening in there and the shock can do you very, very serious physical harm.

The average home sewer doesn't know how to safely discharge this build-up, so don't risk your safety!

How do I know this? I am a UK based (Scotland) home-sewing teacher, and a self-taught sewing machine repair tech. Your machine needs to be seen by a factory trained tech - not by someone like me who is self-taught and has no certification.

Please PLEASE do not try to use this now very dangerous machine until it has been repaired and re-certified by a trained, qualified tech.

When I turn my machine on it just starts to sew and will not stop until I turn it off. Can this be fixed by me or do I need to take it to a repair man? I have been sewing for 60 years, and this has never happened before.

By Helen

Answers

Best Answer

Unplug your machine. Take the foot press and see if anything is stuck in there that would prevent the spring from releasing all the way.

It sounds like you have a stuck pedal.