Sewing Machine Thread Bunching Up Under Fabric

It is really frustrating to sit down to a sewing project and find that your machine has decided to go on the fritz. This is a guide about sewing machine thread bunching up under fabric.

My Singer sewing machine model 6286 is wadding up the thread under the bottom of the fabric. The machine is threaded properly. What is causing this?

By bhooks from Hillister, TX

Answers

I have that happen sometimes, but not often enough to worry about it. I get it straightened out and don't really know what I do to fix it.

Have you accidentally changed the tension, by any chance? If the tension isn't even above and below the fabric, wadding can occur. If that's not the case, then it's a mechanical problem with either the bobbin compartment, or maybe the feed dogs: http://en.wikip  g/wiki/Feed_dogs Either of these problems requires servicing on the machine.

I have had this happen when the thread in the bobbin compartment has slipped out of the threading sequence or I have accidentally inserted it backwards. You might remove the bobbin and reinsert it.

WildIrish has it right, it is probably the tension. The tension is partly set by that little screw (turn it) in the bobbin compartment. You will have to experiment with a scrap piece of cloth until you get it right. Or it may be the tension of the thread itself (turn your dials).

Experiment with that, also. The thread sounds like it is too loose. Cheap thread is also a waste of money, as it will bunch up, break, etc. You could also have the wrong needle for the fabric. Some fabrics really do require their own certain needle.

Oftentimes, you need to make sure you are using the same gauge of thread, or close, in both the top and bottom stitching. More than likely, though, its a tension issue. First determine if it is the top thread that is being pulled through the fabric and bunching, or if it is the bottom thread. I've had mine do both on my older machine.

I also second all of the mentions that ThriftyVicki made. It all can make a difference.

If you are not an experienced sewer, you might take your machine to a friend who is and have her look at it before you start adjusting bobbin tension and so on. Try all the easy stuff that has been suggested. Rethread everything to start. If the problem isn't solved, have an experienced sewer try to fix it. Then it is time for the repair shop. But it does sound like a tension problem.

I totally agree about the tension and the thread. First, I would double check the way you have everything threaded. Second-Thread gauge, stated by ladybanksia99, especially if you have 2 different types such as cotton in the bobbin and polyester in the top. That will mess up the tension and cause it either break or do exactly as you have described "wadding up" on the bottom of the fabric. If you cannot tell which one is wadding up I would try to use 2 different colors to determine which one is giving you the problems.

If you feel it is the tension, after you have tried the other, I would suggest you make sure you have them set up to the Manufacturer default (recommendations) and then try sewing on some scrap cotton fabric. Per ThriftyVicki, depending on the material you need to make sure that you are using the correct needle because this is one more way for the tension to have a problem and it will definitely cause issues, breaking needles along with wadding up thread or breaking thread. I hope this helps.

I sew on a Singer treadle. My machine will wad up the bobbin thread if I fail to do this: Hold both threads to the left of the presser foot. Take 3-4 stitches. It should sew straight to the end of the seam. Good luck!

Which means what? If it is the top thread pulling through and bunching underneath, versus the bottom thread bunching underneath, does that mean it's more likely that I have the wrong bobbin thread?

When sewing a straight stitch the stitches are bunching up. Can you tell me why and help me find a solution to my problem?

I have a New Home machine and it is grabbing the top thread and pulling it to the bottom of what I am sewing. There it is bunching up every two inches. It is Model #701 and Serial # 3254.

I have cleaned the bobbin parts and oiled the machine. What other problem do I have? I have also worked on the tension. I bought the machine in 1966.

Answers

I also changed the needle and it seems to work better except the tension doesn't seem to change even when I adjust it on the New Home. What do you suggest?

Your issue could be the feed dogs setting (if your machine has that feature) being incorrect for the fabrics you're trying to sew. Another reason for your problem could be your thread - be sure you're using the correct weight and fibre for your fabric. Also, when starting to sew, be sure to gently pull the fabric through as it begins to feed through the machine - grasp the thread tails and give a bit of a pull (not too much!) as you start to stitch.

Finally, though, it sounds to me as though you have tiny bits of fluff clogging the tension discs. Using a bit of unwaxed dental floss, floss those discs the same way you would your teeth - you'll see 'grime' and likely a few tiny bits of fluff come away on the floss so keep on flossing (with a fresh bit every time) until it comes back as white as when it went in between the discs.

If that doesn't help it's time for a visit with the repair tech - there may be something inside the machine that's beginning to fail and only the tech will be able to find the problem.

Anonymous

Thank you so much.