Shampoo for Oily Hair

My husband has extremely oily hair. He can shower and by the end of the day, it is totally oily. Is there any kind of shampoo that can counteract this or any other solution?

By Elaine

Have him try rinsing his hair and scalp with apple cider vinegar.

I have this problem and it has gotten worse as shampoos add more "conditioning" products. I use Prell now and it is great. I get it at Walmart. Don't forget to leave a few bottles for me :)

The detergents in shampoo strip all the oil from your husbands hair and scalp. His scalp overcompensates by overproducing because the natural oils have been stripped away. I would try going no poo, it's where you don't use shampoos or conditioners, you use baking soda to wash and then vinegar to rinse, or baby shampoo. Something more gentle. Just Google no poo and you will find a ton of info about it.

When I began puberty, I turned into a grease ball. My mother was 'old school' and insisted that hair only had to be washed once a week. For three years I was teased and shunned because of my oily hair.

So I have to disagree with the suggestion that people with oily hair are 'washing their hair too much'. It's body chemistry, diet, and hormones. I'm 44 and I still need to wash my hair daily.

There are a couple of tricks that I've found that do help.

1. Use either a clarifying shampoo or a volumizing shampoo daily.
2. Instead of conditioner, try a vinegar rinse. (1 C. white vinegar with 2 cups COLD water. The white vinegar has the same pH as the Apple Cider and leaves less of a smell.) Don't rinse it out. There is no need. Just flip your hair over, dump the vinegar all over your scalp and let it fall all the way through to the ends last thing before you get out of the shower and towel dry.

3. If you have long hair and you must condition it, be careful to keep the conditioner off your scalp. I made it a point not to allow conditioner above the level of my earlobes. (Within an hour, the higher hair would be 'conditioned' with my natural oils anyway.)

And here's an odd suggestion for women. Get a very good professional perm.

Now that my hair is curly, I still need to wash it daily; but it looks fantastic all day and into the night. Curly hair seems to absorb the oils much better than straight - which just wicks the oil right down the shaft.

For men with very short hair, here's your weird tip. Once your hair is dry, give your head a light spray with spray-on deodorant. The same things in the deodorant that stop your armpits from sweating will slow down the grease production on the scalp (It may take some experimentation that works best for your hair).

I wish all of my fellow 'oil producers' good luck! It's a frustrating problem to live with.

I agree with 'Pepper'. I dissolve baking soda with hot water and add it to a bottle of shampoo that is partially used, so there is room to add the soda solution. Usually about 2 tablespoons of soda with 1/4 cup of water works for me. I shake the bottle of shampoo to distribute the soda a bit (it tends to settle at the bottom) when I wash my hair. Now when I get a bit warm, my scalp doesn't smell... so embarrassing.