Simple Mint Insect Repellant

contest winner icon

I stopped using chemical sprays to get rid of bugs when I found that mint works just the same. It's very effective and super cheap. Here are a couple ways to use mint as an insect repellant.

Boil a bunch of mint leaves with a few orange peels in some water and let it sit over night. Strain the next day and mix with equal parts rubbing alcohol. Pour in spray bottle. This is my favorite easy-to-make, natural insect repellant.

Crush some dried mint leaves and put in little sachets in your kitchen cupboards. They will deter pantry moths. They also work against small rodents and ants. You can also just use mint teabags!

By attosa from Los Angeles, CA

Anonymous

Will this work for annoying flies?

Will the mint insect repellant also work for annoying flies?

Yes! Mint works on flies - also try basil. Works wonders on them :)

This year I placed my Basil plant in the middle of all my other vegetable plants that I had in containers. IT worked - no bugs. I like the idea of using mint leaves and I will try it on the inside of my house. I have spiders that just don't want to go away I hope mint is the answer.

Lavender oil repels spiders and spider crickets.

I put a few drops on a cotton ball and place on each window bottom between the screen and window. I haven't see either in my house since I started to use the lavender oil cotton balls.

i think it might work as a spray also if you add water, but I've never tried that.

Good to know. My basil is nearly ready

Anonymous

Mint is so easy to grow and there are very many various flovours, but they must be grown in containers.

Mint is an invasive plant so if you don't grow it in a container it can and will spread throughout your yard. I'd rather grow mint than grass in my yard.

Is this something to spray on yourself to repel, or on things...?

Same question as above!

I'm sure you could use it both ways. Let us know how it works out if you try it.

vanilla and water in spray bottle keep it by back door and spray legs and arms before going out mosquitoes/bugs don't like vanilla yes, you smell like a candle but it's better than scratching bites!

The spray is for your body, yes :) I use the dry mint leaves for 'things' - works great!

HI SOUNDS GREAT TO ME, MY DAUGHTER IS PLAGUED BY FLIES WILL TELL HER IT MIGHT WORK. WILL CERTAINLY GIVE IT A GO. THANKS

Does anyone know a sure way to eliminate mint from the garden. I thought I had removed all roots, however there it is again this year. It is taking over once again.

I didn't boil the mint, I just tore it up into small pieces and put the pieces in a small spray bottle. I added some water and let it steep in the water. I then added a few drops of clove oil.

It's amazing how fast the mint permeates the water! After a couple of days or so, I strained the mint out. Ever since I have started spraying where the ants appear to come in, they are gone! And no toxic chemicals either!!