Insect Repellents Safe for Use on Pets

Mosquito Repellent Coil
Keep bugs from invading your pets using a repellant. Use care when choosing a repellent to use on them. This is a guide about insect repellents safe for use on pets.

How do I make a fly repellent for my dogs?

By MWorth from Bellflower, CA

Answers

Best Answer

I am a vet in Australia. In regards to advice I've seen about using garlic to keep away flies and fleas, garlic is toxic to dogs. It is also a complete myth that it keeps away fleas, flies and vampires! This is very dangerous advice as both garlic and onion can cause haemolytic anaemia in dogs and cats.

Dr. Eloise Bright BVSc. (Hons.)

I have outside dogs in a grass floored compound. I have a serious fly problem. I've tried sticky fly traps. Are there any natural ways to treat the ground to deter flies, but not hurt dogs?

KC from Springfield, MO

Answers

Diatomaceous earth. It's ground up prehistoric diatoms, and it's basically just calcium and other minerals. It can be used topically or internally. Works great as a natural wormer, as it is totally nontoxic. It works mechanically against pests, no chemicals or poisons. Make sure you buy the food grade, not the industrial grade (sold by pool supply companies). My best source is a feed store. Good luck!

Try planting sage around the area, flies hate the smell of the stuff and steer well clear, I grow it in my kitchen for that reason, and if a fly should accidentally come it, it is comical watching it try to get out again as fast as possible!

I have a lot of luck with a simple solution- clear plastic bags filled with water hanging a few feet off the ground. I first saw this in the out door resturants in Mexico- they hang bags of clear or colored water around the perimiter of the area to keep the flies out. Something about the reflections in the flies multi-faceted eyes scares them away. I hang one every year by the door to my kitchen that my dogs come in and out all day and I have not had but two flies in my house in the three years. Ihave never tried it low to the ground- but all I use is about two cups of water in a used clear plastic bag tied with a twisty, so it is cheap to try. mine is hung at about a foot above my door where the light hits it.

Just make sure after the dog eats to sweep whatever mess he/she made while eating. Also, we put tacky tapes (those long gold things) around the patio..Then we got our garage fan and plugged it in on the outside to where all those flies are.. we still get a few but not like before..now at least we can eat outside without having flies around us..our fan is a big square one.

Good luck!

Bonnie

My mom always told me to wash the porch down with Lemon scented Dawn dish soap. Flies don't like the smell.

Misty :)

Be sure to wear a face mask when working with the diatomaceous earth. It's silica, not calcium, and under the microscope they look like little triangles and other shapes, with sharp edges. But if you feel the powder between your thumb and finger, it's not sharp even with hard pressure. The main thing is, don't get it into your lungs, it can cause silicosis if there's enough, it is never cleared out if it gets far enough down into the lungs. So spread it around, wash it down, and you're permanently all set, there won't be dust and it will keep baby flies from hatching. Best thing about it of all: it never rots, it's always there, working to keep baby flies from making it to adulthood! I like the stuff very much everywhere except where I want earthworms, very reliable. God Bless you!

I'd move the dog to another area while you then rinse everything with a solution of 1/3 cup bleach, 1 teaspoon Lemon Joy or equivelent, 1 tablespoon Les-toil concentrate, mixed in a gallon jug of HOT water, spraying it on everything in sight and letting it air dry, without rinsing. Then, put newspaper down fresh everytime you feed your dog, washing/wiping his bowls out with SOAP , rinsing well, and keeping the dog as clean as possible. Look around for any food source the flies have laid eggs in, that you could eliminate.

If necessary, use a bigger dog bowl, rather than take a chance on more flies breeding. There are biting flies that really hurt and irritate pets and humans, if you haven't discovered that there.

Flies are attracted to meats, foods of any kind, bird and pet feces, rotting things, garbage, grease, and

even tiny crumbs, even certain plants actually attract flies, such as the Star cactus, I believe.

The bleach/lestoil solution above should discourage and/or eliminate your problem, but it will continue unless you are a successful detective and change things FAST. Even koolaid, spilled soft drinks/sugared coffee, used napkins, food containers, etc. will attract a fly, but meats are their favorites, if I remember correctly. Good luck and God bless you. : )

There has to be a source for the flies to be there. The dog feces and food. After you wash every thing down like everyone says, the Diatomaceous earth is the best and safest thing to use. A FAN is great if you can get one out there. At my farm we used to rent a fogger at a Feed Store and it had a Chemical that killed them all for some time. I know the they really bother the dogs though.

Where do you buy food grade Diatomaceous earth? The last time I gave my 11 month old dachshund Frontline Plus for fleas he was "wheezing". I don't want to give it to him again. Will Diatomaceous earth ward off the fleas?

We go the lake a lot and gnats drive him crazy. If anyone know of what too use on my dog, please let me know.

Pat from IN

Answers

I have found that WD-40 works great. I read about this in the farmers almanac. Farmers use it on horses and cows to keep flies away also. I also use it to ease the artheritis in jmy elbow. I know it sounds weird but i got this tip off the internet and it works!. ~Janette~

Adams is very good spray. Some dogs cannot tolerate the strength of it, so use very sparingly. The Avon skin so soft is very good, but use sparingly on it too. Be especially careful around the eyes. They are just as sensitive as a human eyes.

Secure a dryer sheet to his collar.

Someone said that Absorbine Jr. Just a dab on the ears and one on the neck keeps bugs off people. You could try that.

Feedstores sell a stick you can use like a crayon around his eyes and ears, of fly repellent. In the horse department. Very effective.

I would be really sure what I put on my dog. First be sure it cannot harm him. I think I would check with my vet and certainly would not put anything on that would cause him to foam at the mouth. Good luck.

For dogs try wiping petroleum jelly on the areas of the dog the flies are attracted to. It won't hurt the dog and the flies don't like it. WD 40 doesn't work and one wouldn't want a dog ingesting it.

I have a Border Collie and a Yorkie. The Yorkie is not bothered much by the mosquitoes, but the Border Collie is enveloped in a swarm the moment he steps outside. Does anyone have a safe repellent that I can use on his face? The skeeters bite his face and even his eyelids. Thanks.

By Betty from Elgin, IL

I have an outside dog that is having problem with bugs bothering him. Is there a homemade spray that is non toxic that I can use on him?

By wienermom1962 from Clover, SC

There are many sprays like this made for pets, but unfortunately the smell from the essential oils tend to bother the dogs & cats more that the chemicals do! Also it's common for pets to have allergies to these essential oils! The most common ingredients are oil of peppermint, eucalyptus, pennyroyal & citronella. NEVER put these natural bug sprays on you pet when they've just been bathed in the last 2 or 3 hours or their skin can feel like it's burning.

It's hard to decide between natural or chemical bug repellents for pets, but remember. the strong scent of the essential oils can really bother their super-sensitive noses & sense of smell & if your pet goes outside & lives near the woods they won't be able to smell raccoons & other predators because the oils can mask their scent.

---> I recently had my cat almost die from Advantage brand flea drops. I've since found out that the company that makes them has put out a warning, but I've also decided to stay away from "natural" bug repellents. There are several new brands of the "monthly" types on the market. Do some research & talk to several vets!

* One last thing: Any time you use any of these bug repellents on your pet, first put only one small drop on them, then wait at least 2 or 3 hours before putting more on. This way you can tell if your pet has an allergy! My friend had his cat start foaming at the mouth right after he put only one tiny drop of advantage on her neck. My vet says seizures are also common. The directions on Advantage say to apply the whole tube once a month, but I believe it should be done differently - with half a tube being applied every 2 weeks so the animal doesn't have so many toxins applied all at one time!

---> PLEASE READ MY WARNING HERE:

http://www.thri  0064536.tip.html

---> Directions: To make your own bug spray you can take a well-marked spray bottle & fill it 3/4 full with rubbing alcohol then add one teaspoon of citronella oil (you can find this at any health food store) then shake well. Now spray this on to your dog being very careful to avoid their face & eyes or spray it on to a washcloth then rub it on your pets fur. Citronella is what I used on my son when he was young to prevent bug & flea bites, but I put the citronella into an unscented lotion instead of into alcohol. (Citronella is some smelly stuff!)

Listerine: But the very best thing for repelling mosquitoes & some other bugs is Amber colored Original Listerine. (not the mint kind!) Put Listerine into a spray bottle & spray or wipe on to your dog. This can last for up to 2 days & is fairly nontoxic.

* Buy a large bottle of real Listerine (not the dollar store brand!) from Costco, Target or Walmart & put it into a spray bottle or a garden sprayer ($12) then spray your pets bedding, the grass & the area all around where your dog hangs out. This will last several days. My sister sprayed an outside wooden deck before a party last year & the mosquitoes stayed away for 2 days... They seem to hate the original amber colored Listerine (I think it's because of the eucalyptus).

I use frontline spray for both dogs and cats and it seems to keep bugs away. I would never use the drops at all. Anyway it is more economical since I have more than one pet. I buy it online at 1800petmeds. I buy the 250 bottle of spray. It is safer than advantage and I know my animals appreciate it. I have heard vanilla extract..the real kind not the fake imitaion kind, keeps mosquitos away if you put it around on them dabbing it on...... I bathe animals in peroxide and baby shampoo to kill bugs when they are too young for spray.

I would check earthclinic.com and see if Apple cider vinegar repels pests and what benefits it is to the animals.

I have heard about fabric softener sprays ( I dilute fabric softener in water until I like the smell) repel bugs from your clothes and such. I would spray it on the dogs bedding it makes static less of a problem and the hairs fall off better when you shake their blankets. I also use it on the carpet and in the air. It is cheaper and I like the smell better than fabreze.

Robyn

Good luck!

We put skin-so-soft in our dog's bath water. We use just a small amount and it really makes her

smell good and keeps the bugs away.

Can you use Skin so Soft on indoor cats?

By Linda

What is a good mosquito repellent for pets, especially goats?

By jjinyancey from South TX

What can I use for keeping mosquitos off 3 week old puppies?

By Bonnie