Slow Cooker Healthy Bean Soup

Category Bean
This healthy bean soup is easy to make and no bean soaking is necessary. Throw all the ingredients into a slow cooker and a delicious dinner will be ready for you when you get home.

We were snowed in today, so I made this soup to warm us up after shoveling. The original recipe required soaking the dried beans, and adding ingredients partway through the cooking. The slow cooker allowed me to put all the ingredients in, and go about my day. The soup is delicious, and the house smells divine! Leftovers freeze well for future busy days.

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 8 hours

Total Time: 8 hours, 15 minutes

Yield: 8-10 bowls

Source: Adapted from Prevention Magazine

• 1 lb bag dried beans (Northern, pinto or black beans)
  • 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 med onion, finely chopped
  • 2 ribs celery, chopped
  • 1 carrot, finely chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 3 Tbsp tomato paste
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ½ tsp ground black pepper

1. Rinse the beans in a colander.
  2. Chop the vegetables.
  3. Put everything into the slow cooker. Mix together.
  4. Add a bay leaf.
  5. Cook on low for about 8 hours.
  6. Ad

7. Remove the bay leaf. Eat as is, or use an immersion blender to blend to desired smoothness.
Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Top Comment

Personally, I don't buy broth or stock. I just use a heaping teaaspoon of beef-vegetable or Minestrone soup mix from the Bulk barn. Unlike store bought broth or stock, it does not have any phony taste enhancers in it. There is even a kosher sign on the bin. I am not religious, but that sign tells me that the ingredients are all inspected and OK'd by independent people, who are concerned about quality, not profits.

While living in the Yukon I got used to add some chopped, wood-smoked bacon for the fat to balance the beans. It's not that cold here in Alberta, but I still like the flavor, that even a few small bits of bacon adds.

Try the thick sliced, wood smoked Mennonite bacon. It is firm and dry, not like the liquid smoke dipped brand name bacon. You need a lot less because the flavor is much stronger.
Have FUN!

Where do you buy the thick sliced, wood smoked Mennonite bacon? Sounds yummy!

I don't care for black beans. I love pintos, but I think either would overpower the other flavors.

I see you chose to use great northern beans. Very good but mild flavor. They would have been my choice. I bet the soup was delicious!